Noisy brakes - 2001 Outback

When I test-drove and then bought my 2001 Outback Wagon, I heard a low-pitched, smoothe squeak when backing up and braking, like backing out of the driveway. The former owner says it's always that way and should be able to be fixed. When I had the brakes done, the pads were replaced with Subaru pads that have copper in them, are expensive, and were softer, but they still make that noise. Do they all do that? If not, what's wrong with them? It's only the back brakes.

Thanks for your input.

Reply to
whinylilbitch

Bitch,

My personal experience with disk brakes, Subaru or otherwise is that the rotor *has* to be either turned, replaced or roughed up with sandpaper every time the pads are changed. I've managed quite well with just roughing mine up with a belt sander.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I use a 3 inch sanding disk in a drill to remove the glaze from my disks at every pad change.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Hi,

I agree w/ Jim and Ed that the glaze should be broken at the time the pads are installed, but since that may not have been done, here's a "cheap and dirty" from a brake guy some years back concerning the "problem":

First, find a place you can take your car where you won't bother anyone with this drill. Then take it up as fast as you can safely (and legally??? ;) ) Lay on the brakes to bring the car down to around 20 mph or so in a big hurry, then speed up and repeat two or three more times.

He told me most of his complaints of noisy brakes come from people who do most of their driving around or in traffic where they can't really get 'em hot to burn off the glaze. This method's not foolproof, but costs virtually nothing to try!

Good luck!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Confirmed. I have a 1995 Impreza wagon with the same brake noise. It has about 48,000 miles on it and has been on only two long trips in its lifetime. When driving on long trips I do not use the brakes very often. I figure I am used to the noise and the car does its act well, noise or none.

Reply to
jacklinthicum

It often helps to bevel the front and back edges of the pad the same way. Of course, it eventually wears past the bevel but whatcha gonna do?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Often, noisy disc brakes are caused by vibrations between the pads and whatever. It's possible to reduce or eliminate brake noise by applying a small amount of grease to the BACKS of the brake pads, or they make a commercial spray that is supposed to stop noisy disc brakes. In your case, since it only happens when you back up I'd probably forget about it as long as the car is stopping fine when you are going forward, and you know there is plenty of pad left.

Reply to
Sheldon

In normal wear conditions I do not resurface the discs, i do bevel the pads. If the surface is glazed, cracked or the discs are warped then i do resurface them.

Do not forget to make sure that the metal shims, the ones on the brake pad support, are really applying pressure to the pads, so the pads cannot vibrate freely. I have verified this shims being loose as the cause for vibration and knocks when backing up.

Good luck

wh> When I test-drove and then bought my 2001 Outback Wagon, I heard a

Reply to
AS