can a 5 speed manual be converted to an automatic?

AUSTRALIA

Yes.... i know :(

i'm not trying to harp on it.... but it DOES seem that the US produced vehicles seem to be riddled with engineering / manufacturing faults... and yet Subaru Japan, who ultimately controls market distribution, seems to think that ONLY US consumers deserve the kinds of vehicles that you have.....

Why, oh why, can't Australia have a decently powered Subie??? I mean, come on.... we have ONLY just, with the 2004/05 model, had a Turbo 2.5 released.... in a FORESTER !!! I've driven one... it's interesting, and has some balls, but in a large heavy vehicle like that, with the aerodynamics of a house brick, and the off-road gearing, it wasn't all that impressive.

Why can't we see that engine combo in an Outback, or a Liberty (Legacy) ???

Why does Australia STILL have Liberty's with a standard 2.0L motor....

2.5 option. Why can't we see the 3.0 6cyl Liberty? At present, we ONLY have the 3.0 H6 in the Outback.

Subaru Japan..... wake up... Aussie consumers want better engine options in our models

Reply to
Spinifex

I don't know if this will show up where you are. Some websites are only properly seen in some locations:

250 HP from a turbo-ed 2.5L.
Reply to
y_p_w

We (Australia) do have 2 models of 3.0 6cyl Libertys now, check the Subaru Australia website or your dealer.

Reply to
Marky

You mean like the 3.0-litre, 6-cylinder, *stick shift* Liberty available in Australia but not in North America?

Shut uppa you face!

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Thanx for that link... unfortunately, the 2.5 Turbo is only available in Oz in the Forester. Ive driven one, and with it's off-road type gearing, it was interesting, but not all that impressive. And certainly, in Oz-spec model, wasn't producing 250HP... imperial OR metric HP !!!

I just wish our Liberty was available with a turbo model bigger than a

2.0 L. I WAS incorrect saying the 3.0 L 6-cyl wasnt available in Liberty... it IS... but a 2.5 Turbo would be better than a 2.0 T

Spinifex

Reply to
Spinifex

LOL

My mistake..... at the time I test drove the Forester turbo, the dealer was not aware / did not inform me that the 3.0L Liberty was being released in Oz.....

Reply to
Spinifex

I took a look at what you have available. I'm having a bit of difficulty because A) the Subaru Australia specs are in kilowatts (1 HP = .7457 kW), and the standard measurement procedure (DIN) doesn't seem to be the BHP we see in the US.

That being said, it sounds like the 2.5L in the Australian spec Forrester is likely the same as in the US spec, which is not the same higher boost turbo we see in the 2.5L turbo'ed 2005 Outback.

Australian spec 2005 Forrester 2.5 XT: Max. output (DIN) kW/rpm 155/5600 (~208 HP) Max. torque (DIN) Nm/rpm 320/3600

US spec 2005 Forrester 2.5 XT: Horsepower 210 @ 5600 rpm Torque (lb.-ft.) 235 @ 3600 rpm

US spec 2005 Outback 2.5 XT: Horsepower 250 hp @ 6000 rpm Torque (lb.-ft.) 250 lb.-ft. @ 3600 rpm

Reply to
y_p_w

Ahhhh..... cool.....

thanx y_p_w... i was being lazy.. didn't bother even TRYING to do the conversion HP to KW, etc, etc....

but you are probably right....

my comment still stands tho.... would be VERY nice to have a turbo 2.5 Outback or Liberty... actually... even a 2.0 Turbo Outback would be awesome, compared to what we have available....

Reply to
Spinifex

BHP has not been the published figure in North America since 1971. SAE Net horsepower is quoted in North America, DIN Net horsepower is quoted in Europe and most of the rest of the world, and 280 horsepower is quoted in Japan.

SAE Net and DIN Net figures are different for any given engine, but not

*very* different at all.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Go to a "hot rod" shop! Sure we could make the thing fly and travel on water too if money was of no consequence. I could tell you how to synthesize nitro glycerin in your kitchen, but I sure hope you would read the "editorials" on why you shouldnt do it. Can the tranny be converted, of course. Is this something an average consumer wants to embark upon, heck no.

Reply to
Ceraboy

Cool. I knew I missed something. I thought it might be SAE something or another, but somehow I put down BHP (brake horsepower).

Reply to
y_p_w