Can you turn off ABS by pulling the fuse?

I've never had a car with ABS, and my new/used Outback has it. I really hate it. Can I turn it off by pulling the fuse? I'm aware of the safety aspect, but IMO I feel I can do a better job myself.

Reply to
Sheldon

Yes but depending what state you're in you should put it back in when you go for inspection. Also, if you get in an accident, regardless of who's at fault, put the fuse back in, otherwise your insurer could use this against you.

Reply to
John

"we love what we know; we know what we love"

That said -- you should realliy get used to them -- they work great; and make a HUGE difference. Go to an empty parking lot on a rainy day -- drive hit the brakes hard and turn -- notice you can still steer the car! You cannot do that if you lock up the brakes.

The only time I've seen abs be a hinderance is in snow & sand - where you want that lock up to sorta build a bunch of snow/sand in front to help slow you down. Ice you still want abs.

They're different, I know my first car that had them it felt like they weren't doin ga good job & I could pump the brakes 'better' -- after a fewmonths; I realized they worked way better than I could ever do it; especially in emergency situations.

I'm pretty sure you'd get in trouble if it's determined you intentially disabled the abs system and you were in an accident.

Josh Assing

In which states is there a law that demands that all vehicles be equipped with ABS? Lots of other cars do NOT have ABS and they are still allowed to drive on public roads. Having ABS will not eliminate accidents. I'm sure the insurance companies would appreciate you adding an alarm system to your vehicle at your expense and may even give you a discount but they cannot require the alarm because it isn't required by law.

Reply to
Vanguard

Hey Sheldon,

I'm not trying to piss on your parade or anything, and I'm sure you are an awesome driver. But, ABS has come a long ways, and is quite advanced. I respect your opinion, and your right to modify YOUR Outback, but why not put in a fuse to eliminate the AWD too. See what I'm saying? If you wanted a car without modern safety devices, why not just buy an older car?

Anyhow, I swear I'm not trying to tell you your business.

He is not saying there is a law. What he and others are saying, if a car comes from the factory with abs, or other safety features (air bags, bumpers) and you disable them, and you are involved in an accident, this could be used against you if discovered.

The insurance companies give discounts for abs & air bags in addition to car alarms.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

I appreciate your thoughts, and everyone else's. I fully understand how ABS works, and why it works. I just feel that unless you are in a panic situation, and don't know how to brake properly or just can't get your brain involved fast enough, a good driver should be able to stop their car faster without ABS. It snows here a lot, and that's when I would disconnect it. I like the feedback I get when the car starts to slide. Call me crazy, but that's how I feel.

I've always wondered, however, that the police tend to use skid marks to determine how fast you are going when you brake. Any good driver knows that your car will stop much faster if the brakes are applied just up to the edge of lockup but not beyond. So, an "excellent" driver with great skills would leave no skid marks under any circumstance.

To those who pointed out airbags, remember that those were put in because many of us are too stupid to use seatbelts. If everyone was required to wear a 5 point harness an airbag would be an anachronistic device.

I don't claim to be Mario Andretti, and my problems may be twofold. 1. I'm not used to ABS. 2. The studdless snow tires that are on my car are worn beyond the point of being as good as they once were on ice (the car I sold to get this one had new Blizzaks on it).

Again, thanks for all the good comments. I'll probably run out these tires this summer and get new studdless tires next winter and see how it goes -- hopefully the combination of those, the ABS and, of course, my "excellent" driving skills , should work well together.

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon

There is one difference between a smart able driver like you and me, and and a GOOD ABS system. ABS can release just 1 wheel when it slips whereas you and me release all 4 just because 1 slipped. ABS overall can give you better braking and control performance if you add your skill on top of it.

Of course some cars have piss poor ABS systems. When my Chevy blazer's ABS broke when a sensor went out, I happily left it that way. Later they had recall and reprogrammed the ABS system since everyone recognized the suckage. Run over a small pebble while braking and your distance can double instantly. Subaru is much better.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Isn't their a ABS re-code out there for some Subaru's. I believe their is for my 2003 WRX which I'm planning on trying to get. I was going about 10 mph on a rough, dry, street when I applied the brakes, not real hard and the ABS kicked in and I rolled out into the intersection. Only a couple of feet, but it sure got my heart racing.

Reply to
Theodrake

that may be true for the newer subarus, but in my '99 legacy if one wheel slips, i lose braking on all wheels. i've been tempted to pull the fuse, but just like was stated earlier in the thread, i don't want mr insurance man finding me at fault if i get into an accident.

Reply to
Mike Deskevich

I think it is a pickup/SUV thing. I was told they often have "two channel" systems that behave that way. I used to have a Chevy work truck, circa 1998, that would release the brakes if the rear wheel hopped. Braking on rough roads was a breathtaking experience - bad news for a 4WD truck used off-road. If I got the right wheels on ice the truck wouldn't stop at all unless I stepped on the e-brake.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

This is what I'm talking about. I find my car ABSing through slippery intersections I never had trouble with before I got ABS. I know it lets me steer, but I seem to go much farther than if I'm sliding "under control." You'll never convince a cop or your insurance company that an experienced driver can stop faster without ABS, but I would bet you can. And you'll also never convince a cop or your insurance company that you slid into the intersection BECAUSE you have ABS.

Reply to
Sheldon

Isn't this a simple matter of calling your insurance company and saying that your car does not have ABS anymore?

Reply to
Body Roll

There is. I had my '02 wrx done several months ago. The ABS hasn't kicked on since and I keep forgetting to test it.

-rick-

Reply to
-rick-

For those of you wishing to disable ABS by pulling the fuse, but being reluctant due to potential liability ramifications. Perhaps you could replace the fuse with one that's been popped. Then, if it becomes an issue, who knows who's at fault.

then the ABS light on the dash should light up and warn you of the problem. you'd be in trouble for not fixing the problem. even if the light didn't come on, you're still responsible for your car and any "problems" it has.

Reply to
Mike Deskevich

Not really. As it was mentioned before cars don't have to be equipped with ABS. In case someone would try to use ABS-out against you they would most likely have to prove the fuse blew up before the trip an accident happened on. If I were a lawyer I won't try to pull a stint like that.

Reply to
Body Roll

Oh well, it sounded good.

I try to imagine myself being questioned by a lawyer. How about, "Your car was found to have defective brakes, is that true?"

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

answer: "if the brakes will lock all four wheels at once on dry pavement, is that defective?"

Reply to
Clamstrippe Fecadunker