Use of Ethanol

Subaru does not seem to recommend anywhere the use of ethanol. Can Subaru reset it's computers etc. to adapt to ethanol? Or can we just use ethanol in a Subaru?

Don W.

Reply to
Don W

Your owners manual (assuming you have a current model Subaru) specifies that fuel with up to 10% ethanol is ok. Fuel with a higher ethanol content isn't officially supported or recommended, although there are people using higher mixes including E85. There has been some discussion over on NASIOC about this subject, you might want to search the forums at

for threads on ethanol and E85.

Reply to
mulder

It is more than just engine control.

High alcohol fuels have a variety of corrosion and polymer incompatibility issues as well as issues concerning the mobilizing of dirt and deposits in the fuel system that can clog up filters and injectors.

Reply to
R Sweeney

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Hi,

E-85 hasn't shown up here in SoCal that I know of, so I have no clue as to its cost. Has anyone here seen any "cost per mile" data of standard gasoline vs E-85 in vehicles that can use either?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright