CELs, the most common question...

When my CEL came on in the 98 Legacy, I checked the gas cap. Drove for a few days, and it stayed on, so I made an appt with the dealer. On my way to the shop, it went out, of course. No codes were stored in the computer, which baffled us all. Next day, the light came back on, so I decided to ignore it, figuring one day I'd pop in to the dealer to have it read, without letting the car know I was doing so. And checked the gas cap a few times. Oddly enough, last night I replaced both headlights, and this morning topped up the tank. CEL went out while I was going to get lunch. I have no idea whether it was the gas or the headlight. But now I'm set for another 260,000km.

Reply to
Hallan Blaggit

In message - Hallan Blaggit writes: :>

:> When my CEL came on in the 98 Legacy, I checked the gas cap. :>Drove for a few days, and it stayed on, so I made an appt with the :>dealer. On my way to the shop, it went out, of course. No codes were :>stored in the computer, which baffled us all. :> Next day, the light came back on, so I decided to ignore it, :>figuring one day I'd pop in to the dealer to have it read, without :>letting the car know I was doing so. And checked the gas cap a few :>times. :> Oddly enough, last night I replaced both headlights, and this :>morning topped up the tank. CEL went out while I was going to get :>lunch. :> I have no idea whether it was the gas or the headlight. :> But now I'm set for another 260,000km.

Whenever mine has come on (which has been rarely), it's always had something to do with the Oxygen sensor. 94 Legacy with 200,000 kms.

Rob

rob