Intermittent P0440

During the past three years or so our '02 300M has occasionally turned on the "Check Engine" light, and the "ignition key dance" has indicated a P0441 code. Pulling the fuse for the computer has turned off the CEL, and the vehicle has has run for months before the CEL has come on again.

Once, a long time ago, it was P0440, but that had not happened again until very recently. The last time I got the P0441 code, a few months back, I replaced the gas cap, which is a commonly suggested solution. Then after a while I got the P0440 code again, but decided to leave it and have it investigated when the car was due for service again in another month or so. Then the CEL went off on its own. After another week or so the CEL was on again, and again it was P0440. But again, before I took the car in for service, the CEL went out.

Any ideas what could be going on here?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

My 2003 Chrysler Sebring does it ALL the time...on and off. I find that when the "check engine" light comes on the gas cap is usually loose. I also replaced my gas cap and it still does it. Somehow the gas cap jars loose and then the light comes on. I used to get it reset - now I just let it reset itself.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn Lynn