Clutch cable replacement 85 Leone

My 1985 Subaru Leone 2wd sedan clutch pedal has dropped to the floor and I'm told it's probably a broken clutch cable. I have a manual and will have a go at replacing it myself but I notice the clutch lever, the one with the fork on the top that the cable hooks on to at the transmission end, does not have any tension in it, and can be pushed fairly easily back and forward. I'm just an amateur with this stuff but should the lever be pulling back hard into the clutch, isn't this what the clutch release (ie depressing the clutch pedal) works against? TIA Terry

Reply to
Terry Bell

Guessing here (all exprnce on Liberty/OB) but I'd expect *some* free movement in the release lever. If you move it in the drection the cable would pull it, it should stop at some point. If it then can be persuaded to keep moving further with some pressure, it's then got to the point of starting on the clutch & that's normal. If however it moves the full travel it can possibly go fore and aft in the aperture, then it's probably snapped or dislodged. Cheers

Reply to
hippo