Clutch Pedal Freeplay

I just got my 04 Forester back from its 24,000km service. When I dropped it off I mentioned to the service manager that there was no free play in the clutch pedal. His response was that it is hydraulic and can't be adjusted. I asked why the service schedule had this as a check and adjust every 6000km! The owners manual specifies the free play to be from I believe 8mm to 30mm. His response was that if he did it it would be the first one he's ever done. What gives, is this, or is this not a required maintenance item? I want all of my clutch. And why is my Subaru Service Manager not complying with Subarus specs and service schedules. All they did was look at it and write "Check clutch pedal freeplay - OK at this time" on the invoice.

There is an adjustment for the length of the clutch master cylinder pushrod, located behind the pedals. This is how the pedal freeplay and travel are adjusted. It is not generally necessary to make this adjustment on a regular basis, once it has been set properly. The dealer should have checked the freeplay and set it correctly using this adjustment, if they didn't you can take it back and insist that they do so, or try another dealer. You can also make the adjustment yourself with basic hand tools. I wouldn't just leave it alone, if there is truly no free play it is possible the clutch is not engaging completely which will cause it to wear prematurely.

Reply to
mulder