'97 850 Hydraulic Clutch Pedal Free Play.

Hi,

I'm confused. Some say the hydraulic clutch pedal acts like a non-hydraulic, i.e. it should have lots of free play (1"-2") and this decreases with wear.

Others say the hydraulic clutch pedal free play should be only 1/4"-1/2", and does not change with wear.

Who's right?

Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

I believe it is supposed to remain at the same level.

Unlike with a cable actuated clutch, there is now way to adjust a hydraulic clutch to compensate for clutch disc wear.

Reply to
Mr. V

Thanks Mr. V.,

I'd still like to know if 1/4" hydraulic clutch pedal freeplay is enough...................

Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

It depends.

You need a service manual for the car to find out. Some hydraulic clutches are self-adjusting (e.g., later BMWs). Contrary to what some have posted, some are adjustable, typically at the slave cylinder. Others just have decreasing clutch pedal free play until they are worn out.

Likewise, many cable-actuated (e.g., Honda and VW) clutches are adjustable for free play.

I'm afraid I don't have a manual for your car, but someone should, somewhere. You can try the local library for a Motor, Haynes, or Chilton.

Good luck...

Reply to
JRE

There is no way to adjust the slave cylinder with a Volvo, at least with the application I am familiar with: 740.

The ONLY adjustment which should help with free play:

"With the pedal released there should be 1mm clearance between the pushrod and the piston. Adjust if neccesary by screwing the clevis up or down the pushrod."

Reply to
Mr. V

: > I'm confused. Some say the hydraulic clutch pedal acts like a : > non-hydraulic, i.e. it should have lots of free play (1"-2") and this : > decreases with wear. : >

: > Others say the hydraulic clutch pedal free play should be only

1/4"-1/2", : > and does not change with wear. : >

: > Who's right? : >

: > Andy I. : : It depends. : : You need a service manual for the car to find out. Some hydraulic : clutches are self-adjusting (e.g., later BMWs). Contrary to what some : have posted, some are adjustable, typically at the slave cylinder. : Others just have decreasing clutch pedal free play until they are worn out. : : Likewise, many cable-actuated (e.g., Honda and VW) clutches are : adjustable for free play. : : I'm afraid I don't have a manual for your car, but someone should, : somewhere. You can try the local library for a Motor, Haynes, or Chilton. : : Good luck... : : -- : JRE

Thanks JRE.

I have the Haynes manual for the car, but it's not too clear on this point. I've just recently acquired this 850, and being more familiar with the cable-operated clutches on the 140/240's, am concerned about the clutch pedal free play being only about 1/4".

Andy I.

Reply to
Andy