Crosstrek

I've just discovered that the Crosstrek model is called XV in Europe. Anybody knows what that XV signifies besides being the Roman number 15? There is a good chance I am going to buy an XV after I move to EU later this year.

Reply to
cameo

The European Union is comprised of 28 member states with some finally deciding to get out, like the United Kingdom aka Brexit (British Exit). So you aren't clear to where you will be moving.

Both (Subaru Crosstrek and Subaru XV Crosstrek) are built on the same Impreza base; i.e., a heavier Impreza economy car on stilts. Both suffer from an underpowered engine at 148 HP @ 6200 which obviously is at the high end of the rev range. The extra 4" height and weight of a jacked-up Impreza meant losing some of the nimbleness along with being more susceptible to cross winds, the stiffer suspension means less comfort on long rides, and the higher weight and low power figure meant pedestrian performance.

Why does the above article compare an old 2015 XV Crosstrek against a newer year-model Crosstrek? Because Subaru dropped the XV moniker in the USA back in 2016. You sure you are looking at new or used cars?

Like old Chevys never dying but going to Mexico to become taxis (same for disco), maybe the European market is slower, so Subaru kept the XV moniker over there (but that means a 3-year hysteresis by consumers over there). From what I see looking at the subaru.fr site, they don't use the Crosstrek product name but instead use XV. In the USA, it was XV Crosstrek which is redundant (like saying bluish blue), so the XV got dropped. Outside the North American market, Crosstreks are called XVs. There might be some trim differences but the car is the same. Seems the naming is just to differentiate the market region.

You'll go insane if you try to figure out every model name from every brand to determine what it means. Most have no meaning but were decided to be marketable model names. Since XV is used in Europe without the Crosstek name, my guess is "X" is cross (as in Crosstrek) and "V" just means vehicle.

They claim XV means X Over Vehicle. Maybe X Over simply means crossover (where X = cross) which is the style type for that model. So they call their crossover vehicle an X Over Vehicle or just XV.

Reply to
VanguardLH

This link shows the models sold in EU:

I am going with the 2L engine, though most specs only show the 1.6L version. I would go with a larger Subie, but the underground parking spaces are just too small where I'll be living. I was actually looking at the even smaller Hyunday Kona for that reason till I discovered the new Crosstrek/XV. Now that Kona 1.6L turbo charged engine is even better than the 2L Subie engine, though I like the boxer design and symmetric AWD better on the Subie.

I think you're right about that. I've noticed that even Honda uses different name for given vehicles. For instance what we know in the US es Honda Fit, over there is called Honda Jazz. It's all a marketing ploy.

Reply to
cameo