Impreza - Ignition Locks

I own a '97 Impreza with 107,000 miles, which has been an exceptionally fine automobile for me. But more and more frequently, I am unable to turn the key in the ignition, especially if I have not straightened the wheels out before I turn the car off. This happened a couple times in the first few years, but has happened several times this winter. I have to straighten the steering wheel as much as I can and reposition the steering column. I do something different each time it seems and eventually, I am able to get it started. But it is a major annoyance. Any ideas on how to remedy this will be appreciated.

--- Joe ---

Reply to
Joe Lee

Does it do this with both keys? If so its time for a new lock.

Reply to
dnoyeB

The lock may well be worn, but I'd try some lubricant first, as being much cheaper than a new lock. A shot in the keyhole would possibly help, but likely the best way to lube it would be to remove the steering column covers and get some lube into the area between the lock and the steering column, so the steering lock would operate more easily.

I'm not familiar with Subaru design in this area, but lubing other makes of car as suggested has really helped.

Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

I have the same problem with my 97 Outback. I find that the easiest way for me to get it started every time is to insert the key and twist in one fluid motion, but don't pause once the key is in all the way...play around with the speed, but not too slow, and not really fast.

It sounds stupid, but it seems to work for me.

Reply to
thomashanno

Thanks for the feedback. I will try lubrication. I have tried different keys with the same result. I have also noticed that pressing more lightly on the key as I turn it sometimes works. Strangely, I never have a problem when I just pull straight into a spot in a parking lot. It seems to happen when I've had to do more maneuvering to get into a spot and then turn off the engine. Don't know why this is the case.

--- Joe ---

Reply to
Joe Lee

I would think that's because the lug that locks into the steering column is sticking when it's engaged, if there's a side load on it. If there is no tension on the steering column, as when you pull straight in, it would not likely stick.

Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

What he said

When you've turned/manouvered to get into the space you've left the front wheels in a "turned" position i.e. not straight ahead. The selfcentering will be trying to turn them straight. When you remove the key and it locks the steering it leaves the 'lug' under tension. When you return, if you attempt to turn the steering wheel it will unload the tension on the 'lug' and allow the key to turn.

Reply to
Bugalugs

And can be especially difficult it you leave a tire touching a curb. The weight of the car on the wheel can make it even more difficult to relive the tension. Which of course you are taught to do if you park on a hill.

Had a Mercury Villager that I parked like this. Not only was it difficult to turn the ignition it also made it difficult to get out of park. Dealer warned us to make sure we apply the emergency brake before taking foot off of brake pedal.

Reply to
Theodrake