Different tread depths

We all agree that on our AWD Subys it is best to run 4 tires of the same type, with similar tread depths, rotated regularly. But by a strange set of circumstances I find myself running two with slightly less tread depth. Since my 98 OB does not have left/right speed sensing or differential, only front/back, that would suggest to me to install the similar tires on the same side, rather than the same axle. Opinions?

Please reply to apcs at chartermi dot net.

Reply to
apcs

Why would u want one side to have more (or less) traction than the other in poor conditions?

The front pair will always be different (tractionwise) from the back pair because of the wieght distribution, so the tread difference will not be as big a deal.

Keep them paired front and back not side to side.

Reply to
Joseph