DIY: A/C Recharge Kit

Does the '00 Outback require any special fittings for a DIY air conditioning recharge and is there a preference on kit brands?

TIA....b.gin

Reply to
BG

Our little blue marble has enough problems. I know it's unpopular to give a shit about all the polar ice caps and glacial ice being thinner than ever, but I'll be happy to encourage you to pay $100 for someone certified to do an A/C service correctly and responsibly.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

BTW, some glaciers are still growing. Things change and yet you find some behavior to be also cyclical. Look at the big picture, not the popular one. Global warming has nothing to do with peace. Try telling somebody in Siberia you wish the world was a colder place. We could also worry over the shifting of magnetic north while we're at it. This is supposed to be a Subaru forum, not a political or geographical one.

:-)

Please have a good day, ~Brian

Reply to
Brian

I just saw Gore's movie on Showtime when it was free last weekend. Good show with nice pictures and I agree with a lot of it but one person servicing his AC is a fart in a windstorm. We also know that Gore doesn't follow any of his own advice at the end of the film not to mention that new refrigerants do not harm the ozone layer ;) Frank (chuckling to myself envisioning Gore on a bicycle)

Reply to
Frank

And we know this because someone published the electricity bill of his estate (which probably sees as much business and social life as a Hilton Hotel) and seemed to think it should be in line with the huge bills I receive for my wife and myself, while at the same time declaring that Bush saves his rainwater in Crawford, Texas. That's a run on sentence. Now someone thinks that in order to be sincere, he should be riding a bicycle to Norway to receive the Nobel. If I were in need, I probably wouldn't think twice about doing the job myself. I've had enough of "professionals" charging me up the butt to do things without as much care as I take. The new refrigerants probably (by sheer volume) affect global warming more than the ozone layer and so far it is a forgone conclusion that at some point, what is put into a refrigeration system, especially on a car, will leak out. The only real solution is to not do it at all. Somehow, the warmer it gets, the less likely that becomes.

Reply to
turkey

I've recharged my 2000 Forester with the standard R134 charging hose available at any auto store. Preferably get one with a gauge so you don't overcharge.

Reply to
Jakey

Hi,

Yawn... just woke up from a 20 year nap, and it seems nothing's changed. I doubt anyone here's old enough to remember, but R-12 and R-22 refrigerants were developed to be "more environmentally friendly" than the previously used ammonia-based products. I'm sure if I go back to sleep and next come to in another 20 years, R-134 products will have been "proven" (by the politicians, if not the scientists) to be "bad for the environment," too.

BTW, has the R-12 link to the ozone "hole" ever been scientifically PROVEN, or is it STILL just a theory as it was last time I researched it a couple of years ago?

I'm not for intentionally destroying anything, but one must be careful what "cause du jour" one buys into. I think I may still have one of the heavy jackets I stockpiled for the "coming Ice Age" the Al Gores of the day warned us about on April 22, 1970.

Someone will surely remember THAT date... (hopefully for reasons OTHER than this little giggle?:

) Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I heard a radio report a couple of weeks ago that early predictions were that the hole was going to be smaller this year.

Reply to
Bugalugs

Well let's have a party and everyone start a campfire!

This isn't directed specifically at Bugalugs, but the (sadly predictable) reaction here in general: The public's soundbyte attention span and Fox News intellect unfortunately does not bode well for the future.

One would think it'd be common sense that if you have a chance to either a) release a gas the EPA feels is dangerous enough to be contained into the atmosphere or b) have them properly disposed for a reasonable cost that b) would be the way to go. Apparently not, though?

Justifications and politics aside, is it really so debateable and controversial that humans are not having a positive impact on the environment, and we could all do a bit more to lessen our footprint?

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

R-12, R-22 and Freon in general were created because of their low toxicity to humans. Imagine a hose breaking inside the passenger compartment and venting a couple pounds of anhydrous ammonia. I'd not want to be there. Ammonia is still used in large commercial installations.

There's rumors that Dow "helped" the banning of the first generation Freons because the patents were about to expire. Now they have another 20 year monopoly.

I think it comes and goes, and, just like global warming, impossible to tell if man has anything to do with it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Dichlorodifluoromethane, CF2Cl2 (CFC-12 or R-12) contains chlorine... and there isn't a lot of debate about the ozone depleting properties of CFC's.

The chlorine works as a catalyst in the breakdown of O3. Tons of resources out there on this, but here's a more accessible one:

And everything in science is a theory, a theory based on taking the facts known at the time, and assembled into a theory that matches all the observations. Theories sometimes end up wrong, but it's not terribly wise to use that as a justification to think any given theory is entirely groundless.

For instance, there are plenty of right wing religious nutjobs using this "evolution is just a theory!" argument to try to convince us that evolution didn't occur either (despite the mountain of scientific evidence to the contrary).

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Well I wasn't really advocating that any A/C gas be released. the comment was more pointing out that everyone is told that the ozone hole is there and how it is getting bigger. But nobody tells you it's getting smaller. Not scary newsworthy.

Reply to
Bugalugs