Do I want On Star in my new car?

I posted the text below to a gps news group earlier; I have learned that On Star can be had bundled with an In-dash system or not. what is the added cost for either system. =========== My 1992 Subaru is at half life, 150k miles. Thoughts of a replacing the L wagon with a new Outback is a consideration. I have a Garmin II+ and eMap and considering a 60cs as an upgrade from the eMap that I use most on my bicycles. I use the Garmin II+ in the car with my Libretto before built-in map were available.

I envision getting direction from On Star means asking a operator howto get from here to there. While I would hack On Star, once the free year was up, I wonder if this is worth the trouble. I also don't want to have the Garmin 2610/2650 exposed on the dash. what should a longtime gps user do?

Reply to
Bill Cotton

Remove the 2610 and put it in the glove compartment when parking in places where you don't want it in view.

Reply to
John Varela

We took delivery on our new OB yesterday. You don't get directions from OnStar with the basic (free) service. To get the level of service that includes directions, it's $39/month, or something like that. I don't think you could hack OnStar because you have to provide the operator with an active account number in order to get service.

I have a Magellan GPS. I don't think OnStar will replace it.

After the free year, the basic service which includes road service and emergency support when airbags deploy, etc. costs $199/year.

Reply to
nfisherman

Your not actually 'hacking Onstar'. You're taking the Onstar computer module out of the car, soldering wires onto it so that you can get the GPS signal off of it. You then wire this to a serial connector and hook your laptop to it. It's all right here:

Why would you want to do this? Because you can. If I had Onstar in mine I would do it. For further ideas head over to mp3car.com to see what us technogeeks are doing with computers in cars.

Reply to
null

$200 a year?!?! No wonder GM's losing money on it. You do know that AAA cost only $60 a year for the highest service level, and that gets you a whole lot of triptiks, plus towing, roadside assistance, maps, and more. Tonyrama

Reply to
tonyrama

Some have;

I don't think I would havethe courage to do this until the third or fourth year. It seem thatthe most that this hack gets is a good antenna location and the usesof a GPS head, a laptop computer is needed and that will have to beput away when you park. I already have that.http://www.billcotton.com/tripmate.htmI did drill to install a trailer hitch the first week on the currentSubaru. Thanks for the cost information. Look like I will pass on On Star.

Reply to
Bill Cotton

Sorry, I admit that I'm digitally impaired. I missed the point about hacking OnStar.

I agree that OnStar is too expensive. I wouldn't buy it either if I had the option. I think that I read somewhere that OnStar is standard now on all 6 cylinder Outbacks. Anyway, it was on the one that we bought. I wouldn't have taken it if it had been an option. I doubt that we'll pay for it after the free year is over.

I have road service coverage on my car insurance for about $10/year. I use Mapquest to get directions before I leave home. OnStar has various levels of service that range from $200/year up to about $800/year. They're all too expensive in my opinion. The only cool thing about OnStar is that they can unlock your car remotely if you lock your keys inside. That feature isn't worth the cost.

Reply to
nfisherman