Lexus NAV System on new 2006 RX330

Just completed a 6500 mile round trip from Virginia to California in our new Lexus RX 330. The Navigation system is a total bust. It cannot be relied upon to perform basic functions with accuracy.

Problems began to be obvious as we headed West on I40. The NAV system would repeatedly suggest we take wrong exits, and then take a right or left turn.

Our first stop West was a Courtyard Marriott in Santa Fe N.M. With the correct address entered as a destination in the NAV system, the routing was so poor it took us 30 minutes of winding through Santa Fe streets before we finally got to the motel. All a correct routing would have provided was to exit I25 at the correct exit, and proceed two miles to the motel instead we were led on a grand tour in the most circuitous manner through side streets and back alleys!!!

When I reached my daughter's locale in California it repeatedly announced that the route guidance could not be followed because the area was not mapped.

When I went to find a Toyota dealer for an oil change (there was no nearby Lexus dealer) it declared the whole town of Lompoc CA as unmapped and without route guidance.

The poorest part of the system design is the inability to specify just a city or town as a destination. It must have a specific address in order to be set to a destination.

My 2006 Honda Accord with NAV is head and shoulders above the LEXUS NAV. For that matter, my Garmin Streetpilot 2610 is superior to both.

From my initial experience on this cross country trip, LEXUS has serious deficiencies with its NAV system and owes its owners a new DVD that does what owners expect of an integrated GPS mapping system.

JJS

Reply to
Corky

Hi, I just bought 2006 GS 430. The GPS is a joke. It is beyond terrible. If you don't know if a street is a lane, circle, ave, blvd, drive, road etc you can sit there for hours and get no use out of this worthless GPS that costs thousands. My Garmin streetpilot is light years better. I've been back to the Lexus dealer and they are clueless. If I had known this in advance I never would have purchased this vehicle. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
lid1818

We have an 2006 RX330 and live in Maryland (although we previously lived in SLO and San Mateo). We are not seeing any of the problems you are reporting, and I'm comparing it to a TomTom 5.0 enabled Pocket PC. The maps are accurate and up to date, and whiloe the directions are not always perfect, they do ALWAYS get is to our destination reasonable. It soulds like Lexus/Toyota need to do some work on the maps there in CA.

Keep bugging them on the problems!

Reply to
Ace Bezzerka

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 21:54:47 -0500, Corky graced this newsgroup with:

odd. My 02 LS430's navigation system is spot on and is very accurate.

I'd suggest you go back to the dealer and find out if it's having some type of link up problem with the gps satellites or if it needs to be recalibrated.

Reply to
kegler

Reply to
burt

What if the street happens to be in another town from the blvd of the same name? Try inputting city first to narrow your choices.

Reply to
greg

would repeatedly suggest we take wrong exits, and then take a right or left turn.

It sounds as if you turned off "allow freeways" in your route preference. Make sure there is no "slash" across the interstate freeway symbol that shows up on your map screen after you've input the destination and the screen is displaying the route overview.

nearby Lexus dealer) it declared the whole town of Lompoc CA as unmapped and without route guidance.

Odd, as the town of Lompoc, CA is definitely in the database, as are the Toyota dealerships in town. Try inputting by POI Category, City Center, and Automotive category.

a city or town as a destination. It must have a specific address in order to be set to a destination.

Again, if you input by POI Category, the next screen asks if you want to use City Center, Current Position, or Map.

Reply to
greg