1995 Camry stalling: I didnt believe it....

I had a stalling problem in my 95 Camry. I took it to 2 mechanics. They replaced everything : sensors, valves, and everything that had to do with the electronics. My main complaint: When cold, started fine, after driving didnt start, very low idle and stalling.

The first 2 mechanics admitted, they didnt know how to fix the problem. I knew I had to take it to the Dealer. The Dealer fixed it. Its been running great for the last 4 months.

Okay: this is what the Toyota tech told me: the cable the runs from the gas pedal to the engine had so much crap in it, it was sticking. So, when the car wasnt used for awhile, all the stuff that is controled by this cable was allowed to return to home position. When driving, the ttrottle linkage didnt snap back fast enough. I dont really know much about cars, but I knew enough to think he was full of shit. I made him show me what he did.

He cleaned the housing for the cable, the cables leading to anything that handles fuel and anything that looked crappy.

Maybe he got lucky, but all I know is : no more stall

Reply to
Phillip Lassiter

Had the exact same experience with my 97 Camry. The guys at Firestone did their best, but considering they deal with every make and variety of car, they are Jacks of all models, experts at none. Brought my car to the dealer at noon, shuttled home, had the diagnosis at 2:30PM, authorized the work and had my car back at 5 PM. I kid you not! Before Firestone gave up on my car, they had it for 3 days to recreate the cold start stall every morning. The Toyota techs diagnosed it without waiting for a cold engine. They didn't need to wait because they either had the right diagnostic equipment or techniques, perhaps a familiarity with the brand that Firestone couldn't begin to match.

We've both learned a hard lesson here. Let's hope others take heed. Oil changes, routine maintenance, tires and brakes....go anywhere. Engine Diagnostics...head straight to the dealership.

My car, like yours, is also fully repaired. Starts up like a champ. I drive it with confidence again and that's a real good thing. I figure a bunch of people traded their Camry's away over my issue, when a simple trip to the dealer might've saved them from the expense of a new car. We both didn't want to visit the Toyota dealer because of the money involved. Dealership attention doesn't come cheap. Sometimes you can't be afraid to spend alittle money, in the long run, you might spend less.

Reply to
<psommerhalder

Agreed. I know I learned my lesson. Camry's are great cars, but as the dealer explained, A Camry can be thrown off by the simplest malfunction. And (as much as I hate to admit it), the people that work on the same model every time can same you money, time, and a trip to a mental health professional.

Reply to
Phillip Lassiter

And

Interesting case. I've been trying to theorise what happened to the car's computer calculations to cause the harder start while the cars were hot under the fault condition you had.

If the throttle is not fully returning and there is no sensor for this,..then the computer may apply incorrect mixture for the next hot-start. The reasoning goes>> at ignition off, the last air mass sensor readout (to the computer) will be a higher reading than if the throttle were at its proper rest position. It follows that the injector mixture control will apply 'more fuel' in response to the last AMS signal next hot start,..and would be too rich,..just a theory.

Once the engine has cooled right off, the computer allows 'open loop' starting and running until the O2 sensor gets up to operating temperature.

In 'hot start' conditions,..a timer probably tells the computer how long since the last switch-off,..thereby slightly richening the mixture as well.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

The TPS (throttle position sensor) has an IDL contact for the fully closed position.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

position.

Fair enough. I wonder how the management comp reacts to a shutdown without this sensor's signal?

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

A Throttle body cleaning after a 7 to 10 years is not unusual.

It is basically a cleaning of the cable and linkage. A cheap service at the dealer.

On my 96 Camry recently, I just sprayed on some brake cleaner on the throttle cable and linkage. It worked fine to correct the problem. May repeat in another year or two.

Believe me you should be grateful you have this trusted cable rather than the newer model's computerized 'fly by wire' throttle which has serious hesitation issues.

Patriot

Reply to
The Patriot

A Throttle body cleaning after a 7 to 10 years is not unusual.

Hmm, Throttle body cleaning is a lot more than spraying a cable and linkage..Intake duct is removed and with TB cleaner is worked around the butterfly valve with a toothbrush and a rag, the intake manifold is cleaned as far in as can be done... Its messy and takes about 30 minutes to do it right.

Reply to
ROBMURR