Re: Extended warranty or not?

I would, and did for a '97. Got a factory short block for the piston slap, then the dealer gave me above book for trade in on an '03 Outback. The warrantee seems a good one from that one experience, and it's worth something if you trade or sell outright. I've only had 3 Subarus, but so far the experience with dealers (2-NM/ID) has been outstanding; much better than any US dealer I've dealt with in over 50 years of auto ownership...bar none!!! I know dealers/mechanics are human, but it also seems Subaru is constantly sending out questionares on how you like your dealer and service. They really compete for good recommendations and I'm told that determines how many new cars they are allotted.

Don

"F. Plant" wrote:

> For a 2001 legacy L wagon w 59000 km is it worth getting extended warranty? > Car was a company lease for an employee and has had all recommended > servicing done on it plus some. Guy who had it seems to have been a bit of > a car nut, so I think he stayed on top of things. Its got about 2 months > and 1k left on the 3 year / 60, so I'm wondering whats the best strategy. > It will probably get 10k (in km) a year on it. > > TIA > F.Plant
Reply to
Don Nickell

In general it is better to be self insured if you can afford it. Extended warranties are high profit items for sellers. Did you ever wonder why Subaru keeps pushing them? Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Normally I don't consider extended warranties ffor products. That said I usually tend to buy beaters or new. Since the bumper to bumper is probably going to run out befor I get to know the vehicle, I am sort of tempted to get an extension on the warranty. I also have heard that the automatic transmissions are prone to failing, but I don't know how legit that claim is for the 2001 legacy L wagons.

F. Plant

Reply to
F. Plant

I THINK (kinda confusing between the brochure and the website) Geico has an extended warranty the is 'exclusionary' (they tell you precisely what is not covered) and is 100,000mi NO time limit. For those of us that don't put miles on quickly that's cool. BUT deductible is $250.

might be wort investigating

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

F. Plant wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Extended warranty....yes, I'd did it, and think it'll pay off for me.

BUT, my advice is DON'T buy the "Classic Plan" that comes from Subaru America in their mailer you'll get in your mailbox. It's WAY overpriced. What they don't tell you is that you can get the official subaru warranty from any dealer, and that the dealer will nearly always discount off the list prices they tout in their mailer.

For the price SOA wanted to charge me for the Classic plan (which is little more than a power train warranty) for 60000 with a$250 deductible, I was able to get the 100k/6yr Gold Plus whatever warranty that was exclusionary coverage (everything covered except a list of things), NO DEDUCTIBLE and the same cost. You can choose a deductible if you prefer, though and pay even less.

I got mine from

(Subaru of ChicopeeMassachussetts).

Related thread:

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Thanks for the links Todd. I'm looking at a Canadian warranty, the "Complete Care" from Subaru which sounds like your gold plus. I'm going to try asking for quotes from about a dozen dealers and see what I get. I'm also going to check what exactly is excluded as the brochure is quite simplified.

F.Plant

Reply to
F. Plant

I bought it. The Canadian version was a bumper-to-bumper and the different levels are based on how much deductable you pay per occurance, and for how long. In my case, it is four years or 160,000 KM whichever comes first, with a $100 deductable per occurance after the base warranty is over.

I think it depends on how much you rely on your car, the possibility of failure, and the potential cost of repair. I have the STi. It is a new engine combination (2.5l turbo) and the cost of a turbo failure is high. I also use the car for my daily commute so I rely on it heavily. If Subaru lives up to its reputation as a solid and very reliable car, I'll probably never need it. However, it gives me peice-of-mind that I won't be stung with a huge bill in the case of a major component failure. My understanding is that if the turbo fails, the car won't work, so for me, it was a no-brainer. I guess it really depends on your situation.

Reply to
FNO