FM Modulator

I know that in Outback '05 (and similar) there is no way to put after market MP3 player. So I got this FM modulator:

I tried it in my garage and so far I am very impress with quality.

PS: I am NOT affiliated with the maker of this device. Leon

Reply to
LB

FM modulators use a specific frequency. Is there any signal or infterference on this frequency when you tune your radio to it? Low volume, random static is what you are looking for. If there is signal or actual noise, it will show up on your MP3 player.

I live in a high population density area of Southern California. There are no "unused" FM channels. I tried several FM modulators, including one that could do the entire FM band and couldn't get good results.

I ended up going with an FM modulator that uses a cutout switch on the FM antenna lead in wire. The switch allows either the normal FM antenna to the radio or the MP3 RF output signal to the radio. Circuit City installed this. This worked OK. It's not audiophile quality, but then my Forester isn't exactly dead quiet with the windows rolled down driving in traffic anyway.

Good Luck to you.

Reply to
speednxs

Use 104.7 Mhz..no one in LA/SB/SD is on that channel. The closest station is in Ventura County. That should stop on channel interferance.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnurd

Here's an "aux in" option that requires some time/skill but works super well. It only applies to certain Soobies, but might work for the OBW, take a look at see. It's about $35 and sounds awsome!

Mike

Mike Lloyd

The only thing that makes me nervous is the preset channels. There are others around that tune the whole band. The whole band is occupied more than once throughout the country so if a frequency works where you live that is no guarantee it will work on a trip.

Reply to
nothermark

I have a little modulator I was given as a gift, and it definitely has problems with that. It has 4 channels, and it works fine out in the boonies. Closer in, even adjacent channel stations start producing crackle in the receiver. That probably is a characteristic of the radio as much as of the modulator, but there you have it. The extra price for quality is worth it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Try driving around.. after 10 or so miles from home the "open" frequency might get interference. I tried that and finally got a converter to attach to the antenna input.

Reply to
M. Butkus