Forester 2000 - needs clutch

A friends clutch on a 2000 Forester worn out at 48,000 miles and cost $1,200 to fix. Is this normal?

- Steve

Reply to
Steve

Normal? What's that?

There are way too many factors to determine anything about the life of the clutch in your friend's 2K Forester. Was it his first manual? Did he abuse it? Lots of hilly starts? Just a bad manual transmission driver?

If by "normal" you mean "comm> A friends clutch on a 2000 Forester worn out at 48,000 miles and cost $1,200

Reply to
Julian Serles

Yeah, I don't know the details, but could a normal clutch replacement really cost $1,200? I'm use to getting at least 100,000 miles on a clutch and paying well under $500 to get it replaced.

- Steve

Reply to
Steve

I'm curious, does the engine have to come out to change the clutch?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Well, I do all my own maintenance on my Impreza RS, and the clutch is probably the only thing I'd have someone else do. The work involved is much more than a FWD car, and more than a RWD car. I haven't priced nor heard of other's costs for a Sube clutch, but if this was a dealer visit and all new parts were used, it is conceivable that it could cost over $1000.

Heck, I tried to get a voltage regulator for a '95 Nissan 240SX alternator, and they wanted over $300 just for that small electrical part.

Julian

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Julian Serles

Sounds like a bear. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Reply to
Julian Serles