Forester in snow

I reached my limit yesterday and got stuck in snow. I came out of the woods and was driving slowly through a drifted field when I got hung up. This was virgin snow and nobody else had tracked through it. All wheels were spinning and snow about a foot deep was keeping me off the ground. Fortunately I had a shovel and dug out by removing snow from beneath vehicle. I backed up and returned to path in the woods where there were no drifts. AWD or 4WD is not invincible when it comes to deep snow. Try it yourself! Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

I have! Many times! ;-) Glad you were able to get out without too much trouble. Haven't needed the little square shovel for a couple of years now, thankfully.

Tires? We replaced the factory tires with the best ice&snow set recommended by the kid at the tire store. I forget the name right now -- but it's like a whole new car. It's scramblier and climbier than ever! Woohoo!

Reply to
David Buchner

Reply to
Chicken'n Toast

I'll take that under advisement, for the next set.

Reply to
David Buchner

The brands from Canadian Tire in Canada are often made by Michelin But as a no-name brand they are less money. I have 4 new ones on my Impreza. During the last 3 deep snow storms nobody came close to my traction Nokia is great but, are you in Pro Rally conditions?

Reply to
No Way

Well, uh -- yes, actually. "My" road is a somewhat-improved state forest road, my wife often has to drive to work in deep snow, it turns to a greasy mess for a few weeks in the spring -- and the Rally actually even goes right by my driveway every summer. :-)

Reply to
David Buchner

I got stuck yesterday driving in the mountains. The road was clear untill the bend in the road. I was doing 55mph, when all of the sudden the road changed to ice. Slid off the road into a deep bank of snow (5ft deep). Couldnt get out. There was no ground underneath the car. Had to be winched out. Learned that while awd is great, it does not comepensate for this idiot driver. I should know better, as if i had driven my 2001 chevy prisim, I proably would not have been driving as fast. :}

Reply to
Paul

It was over 10 years ago, on this property, where I hunt, that my friend drove off the road in his van and got stuck in the mud. We borrowed shovels from a nearby house but could not dig out. He was only about 40 feet from the road and had AAA but since he was not on the road it cost him $85. Al this was running through my mind while I was a half mile off the road. It was not a safety problem as I could have walked out to a house with a phone but it basically had major annoyance potential. Years ago I watched my neighbor with his new Blazer get hung up on the snow plowed in front of his driveway and he had to dig out. If all 4 wheels are not getting traction due to all the snow underneath, you're stuck. Tire brands would make no difference. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo