Mustang gt in snow?

Not much will do good on ice. Even four wheel drive trucks. The biggest problem with a Mustang in the snow is the wide tires on the front. The rear end is relatively light compared to a FWD car so there is less traction available in snow (throwing weight in the back will help this though). Then add to that the problem of those rear tires having to push wide front tires through it and it can be a problem. The positive traction is a plus, IMO, for getting through snow. On ice it is a negative as both tires will spin and if you are on any grade, even a street cross slope, the rear will slide sideways. If you drive where the streets are plowed regularly then I doubt you will have many issues beyond a regular RWD car. FWD cars will have an advantage because of the increased percentage of weight on the drive wheels.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

I would like to buy a GT as a daily driver.

Looking for opinions of Mustang GT with ltd slip differential in snow. Is it really awful? some people have told me the GT is awful in the snow but they do not have the ltd slip in their cars.

I live in New England, it can get icey.

Norm

Two words: Winter tires.

Reply to
Stubby

Tires. Tires. and well Tires.

It's the difference between going through just about anything and being completely stuck.

Reply to
Brent P

Stubby wrote in news:45fd6e21$0$953 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.iphouse.net:

Even with winter tires, the Mustang is going to be a poor snow car. Buy yourself a cheap front wheel drive beater, and let the Stang rest in the winter.

Reply to
elaich

Um. no.

Reply to
Brent P

I drove my '89 LX as a daily driver for years here in Virginia. When it snowed it was hit and miss whether I would make it out of the parking lot. If the snow is deep and wet enough it just can't push the fat front tires through it no matter what tires are on the rear. Add to that relatively low ground clearance and it is far from ideal for a winter car in New England. Then again, with global warming looming to fry us all is snow and ice really a concern?

Reply to
Michael Johnson

I drive my '07 V6 as a daily driver in Minnesota. With the All Season standard tires, the Mustang is no worse during a snowstorm than the rear-drive cars of the 60s and 70s. You just have to know the characteristics of the car, know how to drive in adverse weather, and plan ahead.

Next year, I do plan to have winter tires, and a couple hundred pounds of added weight in the trunk.

Reply to
Stubby

Winter tires at all four corners, one size smaller and higher profile than stock. THe narrower tires can be more easily pushed through teh snow.

Reply to
Stubby

I live north of Boston, in a hilly town. I run my '98 Mustang GT year-round, with little problem in the winter. The downside is that I change tires twice a year, from fun tires to snow tires and back. I have a set of 4 snows mounted on cheap steel wheels, and I recommend that you do the same; some weight in the trunk would also help.

I you have a real problem with snow, then note that FWD is not as good as AWD.

Reply to
Bob Willard

I am in the chicago area with a '97 GT. Wether the car is unstopable or easily crippled in snow has always vaired with the tires. I've driven the car every winter except two since I've had it.

Reply to
Brent P

Since '93, I've only had a handful of problems.

In 1993, just after I bought the car, we had a record 30+ inches of snow. TFrog went nowhere for two days, but then plenty of other cars sat at home, too.

We had a 1/2" coating of Teflon© snow. For whatever reason, I had no traction at all in that stuff. That was a bitch.

We were caught unawares one day at work, when almost a foot of snow fell during the day. I had to dig out of my parking space, get a running start and plow through the snow until I bogged down again. Dug out, got a running start, and plowed through the snow until I bogged down again. Did this about six times until I reached the street, and then it was clear sailing.

Today, my only problem is my own driveway, which is uphill to the street. But, as I said many years ago, we have these things called "plows" around Philly, so the roads are usually passable.

Plan ahead.

Try to time your approach so you don't have to stop at the crest of a hill for a light. In fact, try never to stop on an uphill incline - this might mean that you leave PLENTY of separation in traffic. I believe that people behind me would rather that I leave a good space between me and the car ahead, than try to go around me when I get stuck.

I used to go to a convenience store, at which parking in front was actually downhill. I didn't go to that store when it snowed.

Choose your routes carefully. Sometimes we never notice a hill until we have to go that way in snow. THEN you notice the hill.

Driving a Mustang in snow (or an all-wheel drive sport ute) demands the same thing as driving anything else - common sense. We all have it, but sometimes we forget to pack it for the trip.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Pretty much worthless, low ground clearance, wide tires, over powered & NO weight in the rear end. It can get to be a real thrilling ride though.

Reply to
Ironrod

Been driving Mustang GT's since fall of '01 ('00 from Fall '01 to Feb. '06; '06 since Feb. '06).

You're right, it doesn't handle as well in snowy conditions. But if you just take your time, it'll do just fine. #1 thing to remember - if you're making a right turn on red in snow, you CAN'T punch it! If you punch it, you're going to fishtail. Take your time turning the corner - if you don't have enough room to take your time, wait until you do.

Reply to
Ken Zwyers

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news:jeKdnZXUVO_- FWDYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Meaning?

Reply to
elaich

Meaning that with good tires a mustang is just fine in the snow. The only times I've had problems it was because of the tires. Either summer tires or all seasons worn past their snow usefulness. With good snow tires or all season tires I've not had a problem.

Reply to
Brent P

Uh yeah... maybe if you get the thinnest snow tires you can buy, put loads of sand in the trunk and drive it like granny, mabye it'll get you around. Mustangs (V8s) suck in the rain. They are terrors in the snow.

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

As others have suggested, invest in a good set of snow tires.... don't kid yourself and think you can get away with all seasons... I highly recommend a set of Blizzaks... I've driven both my 02 GT and now my 05 V6 through some hard Michigan winters... I can easily get out of my unplowed subdivision in 8 inches of snow! I have never once been stuck or lost control. The tires are amazing!

The other thing that will help is the traction control... it really helped me get moving instead of just sitting and spinning... as some one said the car was "over powered"... well, traction control fixes that! LOL!

Reply to
John S.

Either you've never driven one, you lack driving skill, or you've been driving on bald pep-boys tires.

I put very little weight in the trunk and if you expect to be driving as hard as you can in the dry in the snow in _anything_ you'll end up in the ditch.

Reply to
Brent P

I tend to agree with you... I've never had to put any weight in the back of my Mustangs... I would easily pass by FWD cars struggling with their all season tires... LOL

Reply to
John S.