Forester tail light burnout oddity

We own two 2001 Foresters. The same tail light (the #168 on the right side) in each vehicle has burned out in the last six months. No other lights have failed, as far as I can recall, since we bought the cars three and two years ago.

-- Charles Packer

Charles Packer

Charles, My daughter's 2001 Forester went through 4 bulbs in two years on the right taillight until I finally replaced the socket. Six months later the socket (an aftermarket model) failed again and we replaced the socket with an OEM from the dealer. It's been 22 months and no problem so far.

The original socket didn't look corroded but bulbs in it just kept burning out.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Hi,

Dunno if this applies to your car or the OP's two, but it's good practice to protect your bulbs from corrosion where they contact the socket. The auto parts stores sell some kind of overpriced "bulb" grease, which is probably just the equally overpriced "dielectric" grease, to help. Just apply a very thin film to the center contact and the metal housing of the bulb. If you don't want to pay their price, plain ol' Vaseline has worked for decades...

Some bulbs are a bit voltage sensitive, so a loss of voltage thru some corrosion may be a player w/ your cars' bulbs going out. Then again, it may not.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright