Forester complaints

My '04 base model (2.5x?) now has almost 4000 miles on it. Here are the things I do not like about it:

-Ride is not as smooth as former vehicle ('99 Nissan Altima.)

-Noisier than former vehicle.

-Mileage (low-mid 20s.)

-Heater is uneven (Minnesota.)

-Hood dents easily.

-Wipers control has numerous functions on single stalk.

-Back side of rear seats seems flimsy. [I have a 42 pound dog who wants me to put the rear seats down, so the can wander back there.]

[NOTE: There are many things I like about the vehicle. I'm just reporting this for informational purposes, for those who might want to know some negative issues.]
Reply to
P T

Hmmm ... for your first and last points - aren't you comparing a Legacy size vehicle with one based on a smaller platform (Impreza) & weighing significantly less? Aluminium hood? If so may be more prone to denting than a steel one on any car, not just a Subi. I agree that some trim in Imprezas/Forestersa can be a bit light on. My dogs are 26kg & 14kg border collies (57lb & 31lb young one). They are quite happy to coexist on the back seat of an OB Ltd for

200km trips. Mind you, given half a chance either of them will take over an entire car ... Try the (rather stupidly named) rear seat companion (listed for Legacy /OB - don't know about yours - but if not, it'll just be a bit wide) and see how you go - works for us. Bit less pacing room but easier to wash and groom than the whole rear area! Cheers
Reply to
hippo

No nothing about the Altima but assume apples and oranges comparison. AWD is probably why you bought Forester. Of your complaints, I agree on wiper controls. Dog is your problem ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Re: Ride comfort and noise - I just changed the stock Geolandar 900 tires for Goodyear Triple Treads, That made all the difference. I even got $40 per tire trade in for the Geolandars. Why on earth Subaru put those tires on is beyond me. I can think of no better way to improve overall ride, control and performance, probably mileage too since I can inflate them more and still feel comfort. Also, note that Geolandar has 320 treadwear, B traction, while TripleTreads have 740 treadwear and A traction. More than twice the tread life. Do It!

P T scribbled:

You're comparing a SUV with a car. Of course the ride will be smoother in an Altima than in a Forester.

Tires probably. Also, did you get the noise insulation treatment?

AWD burns up more fuel.

Works fine in my WRX.

Valid complaint, and not just the hood: don't lean too hard on the doors either.

Personally I like it. No need to fiddle around: it's all on the same stick.

Dog in a car: it stinks, it's messy...

Dude, train it or get a pick up truck...

Reply to
powertrain

SUV? I thought he was talking about a Forester?

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

We test-drove the Forester and bought the Legacy Outback because of the ride.

Everyone complains about Subaru milage. I guess it can't be helped.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Did you try flipping the seat bench forward so that the seat back nests down into the floor?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Heater is uneven?

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Apples to oranges, but I feel the suspension does a pretty good job on this vehicle. A stiffer rear sway bar will reduce lean in turns significantly.

I haven't noticed ours being very noisy (04 XT) - what kind of noise?

AWD

Agreed - the automatic climate control sucks. A step backwards from previous subarus.

It's aluminum. Try not to slam it either.

I believe this is a positive. All in one place, once you learn them it is very easy to use.

Haven't tested that yet but good to know.

Reply to
Rat

Bonehenge scribbled:

Yes, compact SUV. Ever heard of them? You know, Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4 and such?

powertrain

Sure. I just never think of them as SUVs. A think of my Jeep Wrangler as a real compact SUV.

My buddy's Forester drives so much like a car, as do the others you mentioned, that I forget about that class. Isn't the Forester mostly Impreza parts? What makes a Forester, CRV, or RAV4 more sporty or more utilitarian than an Outback?

Conversation of the century, from the sales manager when I'm buying my '01 OBW:

Her: "And don't forget it insures like a car" Me: "It _is_ a car" Her: "Yes, that's true, think it's going to rain today?"

I know the '05 OBW was raised an inch and called a truck. Ah... marketing

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

My main complaint on a 2005 XT (USA) model is the fact that they put the cruise controls on a stalk instead of the spokes of the wheel. The cruise control stalk rotates with the wheel, unlike the wiper & light stalks which remain fixed. I keep bumping my leg into the thing when I get in and out unless I remember to center the wheel. Constantly afraid the stalk will break off and cost too many $$$$ to repair.

Reply to
ZZ

Bonehenge scribbled:

Boxy design, rides higher, arguably more storage. I suppose it depends on your definition of "sporty". Mine would be something like going down a twisty dirt road in a WRX faster than anyone and not wrap it around a tree. Regardless of that, a CRV, RAV4 or Forester will always ride harder than a four door sedan. An Altima isn't designed to drive well on bumpy dirt roads, a Forester is.

Actually it's snowing. Whoohoo!

Reply to
powertrain

Come to think of it there is one more thing that really annoys me about my 05 Forester XT (USA): The A/C, heater, defroster sounds like a F16 on takeoff. PLEASE Subaru, some sound insulation/baffles in the air system.

Reply to
ZZ

Might be worth checking that nothing's fallen down into the fan blades or the air plenum, or maybe for a shot fan bearing. Don't remember them sounding quite that bad. Cheers.

Reply to
hippo