Forester XT: A few questions...

Hey hey!

I've just got a Forester XT. It's VERY nice. There are a few things that I'd like to get done to it though.

  1. Window tinting to increase the privacy in the rear seat and storage areas.

  1. Raise it up a few inches.

  2. Find a reasonable bull bar for the front end.

  1. Perhaps increase the HP by adding a new aftermarket chip and exaust.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, if anyone knows people in the area who are able to help me out, I'd much appreciate it.

Cheers, Michael

Reply to
Lord Drool Rockworm

To each his own, different strokes for different folks, etc., etc., BUT nevertheless, I gotta ask:

  1. "Raise it up a few inches"? OK, to do even softroading, a couple more might be nice, but "a few" sounds like three, four, or more. Wouldn't that make this fairly short, narrow, short-wheelbase vehicle look a bit unstable? Worse, wouldn't you mess up one of the advantages of this car, which I think is a relatively low center of gravity?

  1. Is this vehicle, even raised up "a few inches" really of such off-road capability that you're likely to encounter something from which you need bull bar protection? OK, admittedly, I don't know much about them.

  2. Increase the HP? On an XT? I can't imagine why it would need more horsepower. It has more than I should be allowed to have now. But, OK, you're going to chip it and change the exhaust. Doesn't that suggest also better brakes, better suspension--the latter especially if you're going to raise it up "a few inches"?

HW

Reply to
H. Whelply

Great choice for a vehicle.

Good idea - and even better in the summer when it keep the interior from getting so warm.

BAD idea. Why ruin the handling of a pretty decent vehicle?

Another BAD idea. If you ever are in a collision you can be sued for making your car more of a danger to other vehicles and people. I suppose that IF you were to only put it on when (and if) you were using the vehicle off road it might be understandable.

Illegal, and pretty much not needed. The car will go plenty quick. 0-60 in under 6 seconds is probably faster than the chassis is really set up for, and especially if you raise the suspension you'll have a pretty unsafe car. If you wanted a faster vehicle, the WRX wagon would have been a better choice as it's closer to a sport suspension.

Reply to
Alan Peterman

Thanks! It is very nice... Fantastic, actually.

Yes, I agree. My old Subie had the tinting. It was nice to not have to worry about things being visible on the back seat. I really did like it, and it helped the autodimming mirror.

I guess that this depends on exactly why and how much, does it not? I agree that it would reduce the handling aspects of the vehicle in most (perhaps even all) cases, but I also do a fair amount of off road driving where ground clearance can be an issue. In some cases even an inch would make a big difference. Perhaps a better choice might be an air adjustable system and a few smartly placed skid plates (along with the rear diff. protector) for under body protection. To be sure, I am not one of those wankers who want a truck so bloody high off of the ground that you would require a lift to get in. That certainly is stupid.

Okay, true it may make the vehicle slightly more of a danger to others, but it is MY safety and potential damage to MY vehicle is what is most on my mind when I am driving. You see, it's all about ME! (just kidding!)

Anyway, refering to point 2, above. Yes, I do drive off-road (quite likely more than most), and the addition of the bull bar would be helpful in reducing some of the lighter front end damage that you might expect when driving through the bush. I suppose if I could find one that was easy to remove and install, and still serve it's intended function, it would be worth looking in to. I have also found that having a winch is quite useful in some cases.

While I agree that it is plenty fast, I am not looking for additional speed. As you say, I could have picked a car the was built more for speed. I did not. Why? Because I wanted the capacity of a larger vehicle. Working on the ranch, I find that sometimes I am required to carry heavy loads (more so than normal), or tow or drag things. The little extra power would be nice, but it is not 'required'.

Why did I not by a big truck? Simple, I don't want a big truck. I am often in San Francisco. Have you ever tried to park in San Francisco? Sometimes even a mini can't find a place.

Simply put, I think that the Forester is the best all around choice for the way that I drive and for the things that I intend to use if for. Not too small and not too big. Change for change's sake is not what I am looking for. I just would like to tailor the car to better suit my requirements.

I think that the one thing that bends me most is the buggers that buy big SUVs, 4x4's and trucks and NEVER use them as they were meant to be used. What?!?! Get MUD all over my car?? Yuck!!! A pack of wankers, the lot of them!

Cheers, Michael

Reply to
Lord Drool Rockworm

Heh heh!

Well, yes I am a bit general in this. Few inches =

I guess that depends on the terrain that I am likely to be driving over. In my case, yes it would be of help.

You assume that I am using the extra HP to drive faster or race.... A few years ago, when I was still young and stupid, you may have been correct.

Thanks for the comments!!

Cheers, Michael

Reply to
Lord Drool Rockworm

check the forums at;

several folks here raise there soobs a fair bit

and
for tuners,racers,etc.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Lord Drool Rockworm wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Take a look at

Ken Teich

In the San Francisco Bay area? What are you driving over? Unemployed dotcommers?

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan

Heh heh. Actually, I spend a lot of time working on a ranch outside of Yosemite.

Reply to
Lord Drool Rockworm