I blew up a Camry today (first time!)

So I'm driving along, minding my own business, checking for a tire vibration. I pull away from a stoplight under full throttle (4cyl) to get up enough speed to make it wobble, 1st gear, 2nd gear, thir-- BAM!!! A gigantic blue cloud poured out from under the hood over the windshield, and it sounded like someone turned on a blender full of wood screws. Then everything got quiet, the pedal stiffened, and I coasted to a gentle stop while small pieces of metal bounced off the under carriage. I sat there for a second, turned on the hazards, pulled out my phone and called one of the guys at the shop. "Look, I'm about 100 yards down the road, get five guys and come help me push. I don't know. Something bad." While I was waiting I popped the hood and put on my diagnostic hat. Calling on years of experience and technical study, I was able to determine that the grapefruit-sized hole above the oil filter with the top half of a connecting rod and wrist pin (no piston, just the wrist pin) hanging out was most likely to blame. I also noticed that a particularly eager piece of cast-iron tried to make it out through the hood, but not without leaving a small dent. The help arrived soon, and I tried not to think about the negative publicity I was giving our dealership by having a crew of it's own push a car down the town's main street after having been detonated by a technician. By the time we got back word had spread and a glorious crowd had gathered to witness my handywork. Handshakes, pats on the back, I even got lunch bought for me (made that last one up). I've never had this happen to me before, I've only ever witnessed the aftermath. The oddest thing is the lack of warning. After we got it back I checked the oil level (full) and pulled the valve cover, but found no evidence of sludge. The thing was purring beforehand - no knocking or any other indication that such a violent end was right around the corner for this poor little 5S-FE. I never did find the wheel vibration, either.

Reply to
qslim

Sooooooooo

Is this a problem that the dealership will take care of?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Unless it's owned by the bush or cheney family, I'd think so.

Reply to
FanJet

One of my worst nightmares was ruining a customer's car during a road trip. My worst experience was ruining a corner marker light when trying to kick off the ice buildup from behind the rear wheel on a truckbed. I heard that one of the DSM's from the LA region backed a customer's MR2 through a dealership's showroom window with the customer in the passenger seat and the dealer sitting in the showroom.

Reply to
Ray O

Luckily (I guess) this car happened to be in the used car departments inventory. A customer had recently test driven it, and asked that someone check it for a vibration before purchasing. Whether or not it will be repaired is above my pay grade. I wouldn't mind taking the thing apart as I am awful curious to see what the hell happened.

Reply to
qslim

You know, the thing about tire wobbles is that they wobble at a particular speed, not at ARRIVING at a particular speed in the shortest possible time span. Sorry for your loss, but it could have been predicted.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

How could it have been predicted?

Reply to
Ray O

And the thing about Northern Virginia, particularly Fairfax, is that getting past 40mph period without traveling 20 miles away is near imnpossible, so sometimes full throttle accelerations are called for. But yeah, you are right that I should have banked on a shattering piston when the engine is loaded at 3000rpm. Very common occurence on 99 Camrys.

Reply to
qslim

Well you can get to 74 on rt 123 crossing 66....but you can also get a ticket....LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Wow, so then I suppose you are familiar with the dealer I work for. That bridge is nice, but Fairfax County's finest are parked there damn near every day.

Reply to
qslim

It was a long time ago....

On my motorcycle leaving Vienna at dusk. No traffic.

All the blue lights in the world...LOL

My house was on the Fairfax City line (the back of my 1/2 acre lot) in Fairfax County right at the intersection of 123 and 66. I'd hate to know how much that property is worth now...LOL

....and I waited too long to pay the ticket and had to go to traffic court. I was the only one in a suit and got a royal ass chewing from the judge. He said something like 'of all the people in this court...YOU should know better'.

I slowed down a bit after that...

That area is soooooooooooo congested now.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

There are 40 year old 2 bedroom brick homes on 1/2 acre lots in FFX city selling in the $750 range. I ended up having to buy about 20 miles west a few years ago - couldn't afford to live where I worked. Seems to be the case with a lot of people in this area these days.

Reply to
qslim

Yes that is a problem all over the country.

I was amazed at how much the area has built up. Rt. 50 used to be 'country'. It sure isn't now.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Remind us where you work again, so we can be sure NOT togo there... ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

You didn't describe 3000 rpm, you described "full throttle, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, bam." Full throttle through the gears, to me, means at least one -- and probably more -- nudges of the tach against red line. Sorry if I can't read. My point was that if the tires wobble, they wobble at 50 < or whatever>, not at 3000 rpm Testing for wobble doesn't require "full throttle,

1st, 2nd, 3rd ...", it requires open road.
Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Of course, gee, putting a rod through the block to test a 'tire wobble' doesn't sound too brilliant to me...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

What in heck is wrong with accelerating a car at full throttle?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Ask qslim...he probably knows...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Yeah. Apparently full throttle accelerations in Toyotas lead to shattered pistons. My bad.

Reply to
qslim

Not to point fingers or anything, but full throttle has been a bad idea for a very long time. My dad was a car dealer during the muscle car era of the late '60s and early '70s, and a General Manager of a Ford dealership before that, and full throttle accelleration was taught to me as an inherently bad plan from my earliest days.

Yes, full throttle as a joy ride was okay, and as a diagnostic tool for engine noise could be alright. But, full throttle as a general rule of thumb was frowned upon by dear old dad. I seldom engage Warp Speed for any reason because I really like it when my car works the next day, not to mention later in the same day.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland