fuel tank air lock - 1800 wagon (1983)

I have a 1983 4WD wagon which seems to have a really annoying vapour lock problem in the fuel tank.

When I go to fill up at the servo it takes about 10 mins(!) to fill the tank because the fuel backs up and stops the pumps every 10 secs or so. Very frustrating! Now I know there is a breather hose behind the rear wheel that goes from the top of the fuel tank to the inlet tube. So I pulled off the wheel and disconnected the rubber bit of the hose. Put an air line on the metal pipe and blew into the tank - no obstruction (well I could hear the air going in). Checked the line the other way - no obstruction....hmm. So I still have the problem and the next thing is to pull out the fule tank - but that seems to be a big job according to the manual so I dont want to do it unless I think it will fix it.

Question- is this a known issue? Has anyone else some up against this problem with the 1800 4WD wagon? Is it something I have to live with? Is there any sort of valve in the tank that could be stuffed and causing this prolem? Any help/ideas appreciated.

Al.

Reply to
scubaal

Sounds more like there is some sort of obstruction in the filler tube. Thinking the tube can be fairly easy to remove and inspect.Got to be easier then dropping the tank.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

I've had a bunch of the early '80s GLs, but never had a problem with the fuel tank. Pumps, oh yes, but never a tank issue.

You should be able to stuff an ~ 1/2 inch OD hose all of the way into the tank without major problems (don't ask me how I know this ;-), you might try that, Also, try to put in gas from a gas can; see if that works.

Sometimes the shutoff on modern gas pumps are set too sensitive; didja try another filling station?

Really does sound like a vent problem, tho. Sounds like you've done everything short of replacing the tank; probably that would be the next thing to try. Shouldn't be too bad unless there is a lot of rust. Plan on replacing all of the rubber tubing, as cutting the hard old stuff during removal will simplify life. Probably you'll have to drop the rear diff. carrier (two large nuts IIRC), but that should be about it as far as the chassis goes. Easier if you run the tank mostly dry, the steel tank is pretty light, but most any quantity of gas in one makes it messy and unwieldy (and dangerous). Come to think of it, there's probably a drain plug in the tank.

Hope this helps. Write back and let us know what you find.

ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101