gnawed tires on 2000 impreza rs

Hi,

I'm looking to replace a 95 Accord, and have lately found a lot of enticing little models from Subaru. I'm kind of hung up on what to buy, but the first Subaru i drive was a 2000 impreza rs 5 speed. The car is exceptionally clean, only has 35k miles on it, and the dealer is asking $14k (which lines up with blue book). However, i'm a litle concerned that the tires currently on the rear are nearly bald at the outer edge (shoulder?). The tires up front are in average shape for the miles on the car.

I've seen a few references to Subaru's eating tires, and was wondering if this is just normal, or if it's likely to be an alignment issue on the car? If i had to guess, i would say that these were problably the front tires when the dealer picked up the car, and just rotated them so it wasn't so painfully obvious that the threads were about to show.

While i have your attention (assuming i still do), any thoughts on $14k for a clean 2000 rs? The interior has a few rattles and glitches (weatherstripping coming off around door frame, etc), but the seats are the _awesome_ and i had a blast dodging and weaving minivans in suburbia. I'd ask them to throw in an alignment and a credit for new tires. I drove an '02 WRX, but i think i had more fun in the RS...i'm not accustomed to turbo lag, and the extra .5L in the RS just seemed to give it a little more squirt...(not sure how the weight compares...RS handling felt better, too)

Reply to
Bob