Goodyear COmfort Treds on Subaru?

I'd like to get the triple treds, but they're not made in the size 185/70R14 of my '97 Legacy Brighton. Has anyone used these and have any comments? I'm particularly interested in good wet and snow traction which is lacking on my present tires. Other reviews suggest a mushy road feel...has anyone experienced this?

Other recommendations for top wet AND snow traction?

TIA Jim

Reply to
Jim

I went looking and researching for a tire that would really deliver on it all, such as dry and wet braking and handling, winter driving/traction and a quiet ride. Some leading recommendations were Michelin HydroEdge, Toyo Spectrum, Goodyear Triple Tread and BigO Euro Tour. I came close to getting the Michelin HydroEdge, but the reviews were just too mixed. I read the design and logic behind the Goodyear Triple Tread and talked to a number of tire shops. When I told different tires shops what I was looking for, they kept recommending this tire. Finally, I talked to a person at one tire shop that got a chance to demo them and loved them. I decided to take the risk and be one of the first to give the tire a try.

I have put 5,000 miles on them and can sum them up in one word: WOW! What a difference. With my old tires, I had to turn up the stereo once I got on the freeway. I don't even touch the dial now. You will not believe how quiet these tires are. I used to think the reason I felt every crack in a road was the Outback's stiffer suspension. The difference with these tires is incredible. I took a tight circle freeway offramp with a 20 mph speed limit at 40 mph and the car took the turn better than going 20 mph with the old tires. Where I used to get a side lean in a corner, these tires hold solid and make cornering effortless. I was driving yesterday down the freeway going from dry road to heavy showers and could feel no difference - and the traction was solid.

I just got back from taking them up to mountains. While I was there I got to try the tires in snow, ice and combo of slush and ice. I was amazed how well these tires would grip on all these conditions. I was deep in the mountains on logging roads and really tested these tires and they exceeded my expectations.

Reply to
Mark Williams

If you've got the money for the triple treads, you could invest in some cheap steel wheels in a 15" size. That's what my friend had to do, he bought a car with 13" wheels and discovered that there were really no decent tires in that size. So he got some 15" wheels and some nice tires to go on them, and the ride and handling of his car is much, much better.

You could also cruise a junkyard and look for some late model Subaru wheels. Your Legacy should take up to a 16", maybe even a 17".

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Thanks. Will probably go with the 15' wheels and

195/60R15 triple treds.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Welcome. I should mention that the standard Legacy of that era (mine included) ran on the 195/60R15 tires on 15" wheels. The Brighton was the exception with the smaller wheels.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker