Grinding gears

So I have the famous problem of my gears grinding when I am shifting. It happens on occasion when shifting into first (often at a stop light), or shifting from fifth to fourth. Even double clutching does not work. I recently had to slow down in neutral on the shoulder of the highway because I could not get into gear. So I am under warranty (Impreza TS 2003) and car is under seven months old. What should I say/do when I bring my car in for service?

Reply to
Calgary Rob

"Calgary Rob shaw.ca>" So I have the famous problem of my gears grinding when I am shifting. It

The dealership should not charge you, as you are covered by warranty. Since the car is new, being broken in, an adjustment on the gears may need to be done. In the meantime, before you bring your car into the dealership, go easy on the clutch/shifting. Neighbourhood Tuss

Reply to
tuss

I'll let you know tomorrow just dropped mine (03 WRX) off tonight for a service I did explain to them when I called and also left a very specific letter as to the problem and that I've been researching this for a few months and have noted that it is a common problem

-=Rick=-

Reply to
Rick Carrico

I just went through this a few weeks ago. My 02 WRX had the grinding problem when shifting into 1st since new. They replaced the clutch which help the clutch shudder. Next, the grind noise was fixed by replacing the 1st gear syncro. It took *a lot* of complaining to get them to fix it. Now, my WRX is shifting perfect... (knock on wood).

Reply to
Mark

topping off with pennzoil syncromesh MT fluid fixed it for me. jm2c ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

Thanks for all the info. I will be submitting mine on tuesday for work. I am letting the guy know immediately what I know, and what I gathered off the net. Also,when in fourth gear, and I my foot is off the break and off the gas and my speed is going down, there is major 'shudder' sound coming from the transmission. Any ideas?

Reply to
Calgary Rob

Is the shudder more common when the tranny is cold? If so they have a fix for it. They replace the bolts for the clutch. Fix the problem with myy 02 WRX. The dealer should know about this fix.

Reply to
Mark