help: front end noise

2005 USA WRX. 16,700miles

The front end started making a "clunk" noise on slow speed sharp turns (like parking lot turns, or at a 4-way stop). The car is just over a year old and with this mileage the CV boots should be fine -- the boots are not torn or anything. The click is not a constant tick-tick-tick like a CV joint gives, but sounds more like something loose in the suspension or something. It is either a single or a double clunk clunk. Sounds like it might be foreward right side. It doesn't do it if I simply turn the wheel with the car at a stop, but seems to be related to shifting the weight of the car as I turn a corner (both accel, deccel, steady speed power on & off).

Any ideas of where to look before I drive 2 hours to the nearest dealership?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Lloyd

Is it a clunk or a 'jerky feeling'? Could be torque bind. there have also been a few reports of broken front anti-sway bars on some models.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Wheel lug nuts. Swaybar mounts or links. Strut top. Lower ball joint. Lower control arm bushing mounts.

Anything beyond tightening the lug nuts, and I would start driving . . .

ByeBye! S.

Mike Lloyd

Bad strut mount bushing.

Reply to