HELP! FWD light is on.

For no apparent reason my FWD light came on and I'm stuck in my own driveway (it snowed about 2 feet here last night). The car is a 97 Outback, and this has never happened before. Automatic transmission, no other warning lights are on.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon

Don't suppose you have a 4WD button on your shifter anywhere?

You might also check to see if there is a fuse holder under the hood marked in little white letters "FWD", up near the firewall. When the fuse is inserted it should inform the transmission you want FWD only and the corresponding light on the dash should illuminate.

~Brian

Reply to
Brian

Try checking the FWD fuse at the rear right corner of the engine compartment.

Reply to
Limey Lurker

I finally found where the fuse goes. In the fuse holder are two wires that run under the dash, but I can't follow them any more than that. I pulled one of the wires out and the car is back in AWD again.

I guess the questions are what kind of a modification did the previous owner make and why did they make it? Also, why, after three years, did the switch all of a sudden close, placing the car in FWD?

The car is okay now, but I'm still scratching my head. Bought the car used, and can't understand why the mods.

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon

I fear you just disabled the light and your car is still in FWD. This light indicates you have forced the car into FWD mode only by inserting a fuse or you have a AWD malfunction. My advise would be to see a competent Subaru mechanic.

Reply to
RW

Definitely take RW's advice in his post and see a mechanic. If you did not see the FWD fuse in the fuse block - my suspicions are that either the wet clutchpack or duty solenoid C are bad and the prevuious owner was trying to pull a fast one, OR the previous owner thought (wrongly) they would get better mileage running in FWD mode. There are other possibilities.

Also, confirm that the tires are all the same size/wear/manufacturer.

But see a good Sube mechanic to check these things out.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I think you guys are missunderstanding what I found. Where you would normally put the fuse to dissable AWD and put the car into FWD I found two wires installed where that fuse would go -- one wire where each tab of the fuse would go. The wires run through the firewall and to a switch under the dash. Therefore, someone rigged this car so that AWD and FWD could be switched in and out. Closing the switch would be the same as installing a fuse and closing that circuit. I'm sure of what I found, and all else is fine -- wheel size, etc.

When I put the wires back into the fuse holder I can switch the car into and out of AWD. I tried it. It's not just the light. The car is definitely switching from AWD to FWD (I live on a hill that's a sheet of ice right now, so it's a good test).

As I said, I must have hit the switch with my foot getting into the car, and the switch is very difficult to see.

Question is, why would somebody do this?

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon

Fuel economy?

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

BTW, I'm due for an oil change soon and I have a good mechanic. I WILL get this checked out, but I feel secure it is not an emergency situation right now. I think you guys are right, and the previous owner may have thought he'd get better mileage in FWD. If my mechanic can't give me a good reason to leave the switch wired in I'll remove it -- maybe use it for something else.

Reply to
Sheldon

I've thought of doing this on my 00 OBW. There have been times, especially when taking corners on a slick road, where AWD is as bad as RWD if you get on the throttle. My old toyota wagon had this switch btw FWD/4WD and it was perfect. The previous owner most definitely should have told you about the switch or put it back to stock.

-- John

Reply to
John

I found the switch under the steering wheel.

Reply to
Sheldon

Not sure if the previous owner was the original owner, but I actually know him and may give him a call. I agree with you regarding the switch. Can the car be harmed driving it around in FWD? My old Loyale had a switch in the middle of the gear shift. I left it in FWD all summer, and the car "scrubbed" around corners in 4WD on dry pavement. The '97 doesn't do that as I assume it's supposed to be in AWD all the time.

Reply to
Sheldon

There is extensive discussion of this type mod and its possible repercussions here;

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks for the link, but they are talking about actually locking the car into a solid 4WD mode. Unlike AWD, the wheels cannot compensate going around turns, but it gives phenomenal traction. I wouldn't mind an option on mine that would do that.

Meanwhile, I can't find anyone who can tell me what the advantage of putting the car into FWD is. One mechanic thought it might be mileage, but he said I'd have to try it and see. I'm concerned about destroying the car if I do that. Besides, my thoughts are that if it did work Subaru would have put the switch on there at the factory, like my old Loyale.

Reply to
Sheldon

Its intended to be used if you MUST put a 'donut spare' or other odd sized tire on. Even then, you should really get the tires back in exactly to right configuration soon.

Subaru says cricumference of tires must be with 1/4" of each other. Driving on dry pavement with an odd sized tire will be detected as slip and engage AWD leading to 'binding' in the drivetrain. After you switch back to AWD - and confrim your tires are all the same wear/size/style - take you car to a dry, level parking lot and do some figure eights or other tight parking/back maneuvers. If you sense any 'jerkiness' you have torque bind. Often expensive to repair.

And that link is about A LOT more than locking into 4WD.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Agreed on everything. It snowed a couple of feet here and I was driving up a hill when the rear of the car started to fish back and forth a bit. I flipped that switch and when the car went into FWD the front wheels pulled the car straight. So, maybe there are some times it comes in handy. I'll do your experiment, and know exactly what you are talking about. Might be awhile before I find any dry pavement around here.

Reply to
Sheldon