03 Subaru repairs question

Greetings,

I'm new to the group and have been reading the group's posts for a while. I just purchased a used 03' Subaru Forester X with 53,900 miles on it from an individual seller. The car was inspected by a mechanic prior to purchase and is in good condition. In addition, it has remaining Subaru powertrain warranty until 60,000 miles next year.

Would you recommend investing another $1600 in buying more warranty (5 yrs/100,000 miles) from an insurance company since the Subaru dealer can't offer it? (one of the disadvantages of bying a car from a non- dealer source, I guess). I already took a loan for this car so I'd rather pass on the added warranty, but again, I'm not very familiar with the kinds of problems that this car may have further down the road, since I've never owned a Subaru before. My previous car was a '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee with many miles on it that was pricey to maintain.

What are some of your experiences with maintenance costs and major repair issues after the 60,000 miles on the '03 Forester? Can had gaskets become a problem later on or perhaps the trasmission? Is the added 100,000 warranty cost justified for a car that is consistently ranked as mechanically reliable?

I'd be grateful for your insight and opinion on this.

Thanks,

Mihaela

Reply to
aela

Personally, I'd say put the $1600 in the bank and callit 'auto-money'. Add $300-$400 dollars to it every year - if possible. Should you NEED a major repair, use it. If you never need it, throw it in as downpayment in the future on your next car.

my $0.02

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Good answer. I don't believe in warranties either. My Foresters have been low mileage but I lost my '98 in '03 with an accident. If I had extra warranty, wonder what would have happened to it? My '03 has not had one single problem. Testimonials based on a few cars are hard to make, but friend of mine had a Jeep Cherokee and had lots of problems with drive train before it came off lease.

Frank

Reply to
frank.logullo