Hi mileage '99 Legacy -- what goes bad first ?

Hello, I have a '99 Legacy L sedan 2.2 with 85K. Can anyone tell me what I can expect to go bad on this car? I have a 100K extended warranty and have replaced the MAF sensor twice and fixed a leak at the trans leak at the electronics plug. This car also has the intermittent speedo problem.

Can any one with this same car tell me their service problems which I might also expect to see in the near future ??

Reply to
X-Eliminator

I had a '95 2.2 L Wagon (First year model in the US) that I sold at 169k and that was running great. The gearbox incl center differential had to be replaced at ~150k because the car had apparently been towed incorrectly before I purchased it, and a wheel bearing went out at 158k, but that's pretty much it.

Statistically, your car should be running trouble-free for a long time from this point on, but then there's lucky cars and not so lucky ones (Lemons). What color is your car? ;)

BTW: None of the Legacies I bought (95, 96 and 98) had working back-lighting of the climate control and radio display. If the bulbs still work in yours, you're the lucky owner an exceptional specimen.

Florian

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/

Well, you know better than me. I have a 2.5 Outback and the only problem of note was the front oil seal leak at about 80k miles. +95k miles now and runs like a sewing machine.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

From owning a 95 Legacy (just over 100k miles) and reading this newsgroup for the past year, you can expect those little bulbs in the radio and heater controls to fail annoyingly, but that's about it.

:-)

-- Dominic Richens | snipped-for-privacy@alumni.uottawa.ca "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

Reply to
Dominic Richens

So, if I switch on the headlights all the time, so the dimmer operates on those bulbs, they might last longer. It's easier to replace headlamp bulbs and tail light bulbs than the ones in the radio, I assume.

Can the dimmer be wired to work all the time, without turning on all the exterior lights?

I can't temember my heater controls ever being lit. bulbs must have failed early on on my '97.

Reply to
Jim

climate control bulbs was out on the 95 i bought in 99. replaced for $10 following instructions on the internet (no special tools). ordered bulbs from a dealer.

alternator went out (it was a refurbed model put it, lasted only 30,000) which stranded me, kind of annoying.

leaking seals after very aggressive driving cross country 80-90mph over mountain passes. no need to refill oil between oil changes but smell of burnt oil with aggressive day to day driving.

bought at 105,000 now 145,000 still fun to drive, very functional... might get a new car 2-3 years from now. debating a new legacy/forester wagon (want >150bph, my 95 only has 115 i think) vs the other compact hatch/wagon's available now...

john

Reply to
John Su

Your 95 should have between 135 and 150HP, check it out...what engine? TG

Reply to
TG

That's easy: The only engine available that year (USDM) was the 2.2l 135hp.

Florian

Reply to
/FFF/

Reply to
X-Eliminator

The dealer told me the water pump typically lasts 180K....anyone confirm that? Jim L

Reply to
Jim Lofgren

I would love to see that link. My wife's 98 Legacy Wagon has had failed bulbs for about 3 years now.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

Your wish is my command. TG