99 Legacy - turn signal noise (ignition OFF)

I have a 1999 Legacy L sedan 4dr (not Outback) which started making turn signal or flasher noises (like the turn signal is actuated, but the ignition switch is OFF and the car is in park).

Anyone ever heard of this, or know the fix or workaround?

Reply to
aaa

So wait... when it makes that noise, is a turn signal turned on? Or is the car just sitting there with EVERYTHING turned off?

Reply to
Dmitriy

Reply to
aaa

Might be an under-dash relay clicking on and off.

Any problems with your battery running flat?

Any problem at all, that occurs when it's doing this?

If not...and you've noticed it over several years...sounds like something you can just leave be.

Reply to
CompUser

- Where is the noise coming from? Does it sound like its coming from inside the dashboard, or from the engine bay?

- Is it clicking that is identical to the flasher sound, or just clicking?

If it's identical to the flasher sound... it's probably some sort of relay, maybe there is a short somewhere... hard to tell.

If it's just clicking, it might be just your engine cooling down/heating up (metal expanding/contracting), but you probably wouldn't hear it while you're driving.

snipped-for-privacy@aohell.com wrote:

Reply to
Dmitriy

THAT SOUNDS LIKE A VERY PLAUSIBLE POSSIBILITY

NOPE... BRAND NEW ALTERNATOR TOO.

NOT THAT I CAN NOTICE, BUT IT HAPPENS SO SELDOM THAT I CAN'T REALLY TELL IF ANYTHING IS DISABLED WHEN IT IS HAPPENING.

I WOULD LET IT BE, BUT IT'S THE CAR THAT MY WIFE DRIVES, AND SHE GETS ALL FREAKED OUT WHEN IT HAPPENS.

THE PROBLEM WITH INTERMITTENT (UNKNOWN) TROUBLE IS THAT IT'S HARD TO FIX SOMETHING WHEN IT NOT COMPLETELY BROKE. I JUST NEED TO WAIT UNTIL IT HAPPENS AGAIN TO TRY TO ISOLATE IT.

Reply to
aaa

THE DASHBOARD AREA, NOT THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT

THE CLICKING SOUND IS IDENTICAL TO THE TURN SIGNAL OR FLASHER SOUNDS, BUT NOT THE RYHYM & FREQUENCY OF THE FLASHER SOUND.

YEP.. I MIGHT CHANGE OUT THE FLASHERS AND SEE IF I STILL HAVE THE SAME RECURRENCE.

IT'S DEFINITELY AN ELECTRICAL SYMPTOM/SOUND.

THE PROBLEM WITH INTERMITTENT (UNKNOWN) TROUBLE IS THAT IT'S HARD TO FIX SOMETHING WHEN IT NOT COMPLETELY BROKE. I JUST NEED TO WAIT UNTIL IT HAPPENS AGAIN TO TRY TO ISOLATE IT.

Reply to
aaa

Is there more to this? This very thing is happening to my 2003 legacy. the "ticking" continues...rather quickly actually but the turn signal lights are off. The lights still WORK> And cause the ticking sound to sound "normal" but once I complete the turn, the fact ticking begins again and won't stop. Eventually/randomly it will stop and remain quiet for a few moments. or even minutes. But the occasional tick and bump will trigger it again. I checked the fuses. They all look good. Even pulled them all out and refit them. No change. I played with the signal arm, but I'm not sure if that is the cause....I managed to get it to stop...sometimes.....I'm not sure if it was me or the randomness "fixing itself"

I'm thinking it is in the steering column somewhere, but I'm not ready to crack it open without a better idea of what is going on. I'll continue to troll the forums....Hopefully someone has an answer or similar experience.

Reply to
Ethan A Allen

It could be your fuel pump. Turn the ignition to the "run" position. If the ticking starts, runs for a while, then stops, the noise is coming from the pump.

Reply to
dsi1

replying to dsi1 , Ethan A Allen wrote: I figured it out! I went to another forum and someone was cool enough to show a "how too" fix this problem. The grease in the turn signal assembly was dripping down and caused a short in the assembly. He shows how to take the steering column apart and remove the turning signal assembly.... I took a paper towel and some Q-Tips and cleaned up the assembly from any of the grease that was "dripping" and BOOM! Fixed! I'm trying to find that link because the pictures were VERY helpful. Also he walks you though it.

Glad I fixed this as I guess that short will eventually mess up the turn signal assembly and go from annoying to "Left Turn Signal Stuck ON Permanently" really fast.

Reply to
Ethan A Allen

I found the Problem. Here is a link to someone who walks you through it. The Problem is fixed..and best of all I didn't have to buy a new assembly. ( I guess they run over $100. ) He also made a video.

I simply had to clean the excess grease out of the assembly.....the ticking is gone and it works. Thanks Subaru Forums!

Reply to
Ethan A Allen

Well that's a new one one me. My VW would have water dripping on the fuse box which caused the car to die at random moments. Heck, if it had been grease, there wouldn't have been any problem. :-)

Reply to
dsi1