Hill Clutch Adjustment

Hi, all.

It's a '91 legacy wagon 5-spd AWD ABS, 220k. Seems as though the hill clutch is working 'too-well' and staying engaged. The man who just installed a new clutch tells me he doesn't know how to adjust it. I think the problem has been there for awhile, just more noticeable with the new clutch. Would anyone out there know if it is it a tricky procedure to get it to disengage properly? Thanks-

Shannon

Reply to
free.teranews.com

Easy job, just a bit of time involvement. 2 people is good 'cos you can have one in the car and one doing adjustments, but I usually have to do it by myself (aaaah!)

*First you *must* check that the clutch freeplay is adjusted correctly. There is another cable on the throwout lever. It's for the hill holder. *Find a couple of spanners that will undo the locknut & adjusting nut at the end of the cable. *Now go and find som sort of upgrade with no traffic. Park facing nose up. Put the car in gear, hold the clutch pedal down, release the handbrake and the car should stay where it is. Slowly release the clutch pedal and it should start rolling backwards *as soon as* the clutch pedal starts to travel up. *If the car stays where it is, park it, handbrake on, assistant listening to the stereo, leaving you to: *release the locknut on the hh cable *turn the adjusting nut 1/2 turn a time to *lengthen* the cable (can't remember which way) *check if car starts to roll back just as clutch starts to raise with each adjustment. Repeat until it does. *Once it all works ok, tighten the locknut. *Check it all again *Go home and enjoy a nice beer

By the way, if the hh *doesn't* hold at all, then you need to *shorten* the cable until it does. Cheers

Cheers

Reply to
hippo

Does the 2005 OBW XT (manual) have this?

Reply to
Michael Tissington

According to reviews and tests I've read, yes it does. If you want to be sure though, find a hill and check on your test drive! Cheers

Reply to
hippo

I have and it does not seem to .... which is strange because the previous year did.

Reply to
Michael Tissington