Trottle Run On

I recently traded in my 95 Impreza L Wagon on an 05 Legacy Ltd Wagon.

It?s as if I went from a 50 Ford to a 56 Caddy. Great. However...

I wanted and got a 5 spd manual transmission.

As you run through the gears, the thottle (or what passes for a throttle these days) stays open at the previous setting for a couple of seconds when you push in the clutch. If you shift quickly this jerks the car ahead because of the overspeed of the engine.

I spoke to the service manager about this, he said it had to do with polution control and would change as the car aged.

I find that I?m pausing in neutral between gears, and wonder if this is the change he meant, or does the engine (computer) let the engine slow down after you push in the clutch with time.

I realize (from the non-availability of 5 spds) that there may not be many out there, but I?d like to know what?s going on.

Any help, assistance greatly appreciated. I sure do like the new Legacy.

Reply to
Bredehoft

Edward Hayes

He's full of shit. I have an Australian model '02 FXS 2.5 5speed that still does exactly that, after 70,000km. It's good in a drag race, otherwise you'll adjust your driving to suit it. If you're smoother on the clutch/throttle switch, and take a little longer to get it into gear, you won't notice it and it will do a world of good for the clutch, trans, and running gear as it's not being thumped around every gearchange.

-mark

Reply to
mark jb

"Bredehoft" wrote: > I recently traded in my 95 Impreza L Wagon on an 05 Legacy Ltd > Wagon. > > It's as if I went from a 50 Ford to a 56 Caddy. Great. > However... > > I wanted and got a 5 spd manual transmission. > > As you run through the gears, the thottle (or what passes for > a throttle these days) stays open at the previous setting for > a couple of seconds when you push in the clutch. If you shift > quickly this jerks the car ahead because of the overspeed of > the engine. > > I spoke to the service manager about this, he said it had to > do with polution control and would change as the car aged. > > I find that I'm pausing in neutral between gears, and wonder > if this is the change he meant, or does the engine (computer) > let the engine slow down after you push in the clutch with > time. > > I realize (from the non-availability of 5 spds) that there may > not be many out there, but I'd like to know what's going on. > > Any help, assistance greatly appreciated. I sure do like the > new Legacy.

Wow. Am I the only one here that chose 5 speed? No wonder Subaru dropped the manual transmission in 06!

Reply to
Bredehoft

i have a similar problem with my '02 legacy wagon (110,000 km). i bought it used a year ago, and it's also jerking on upshifts, pretty much the same as what you describe.

i thought it might be some of my "bad habits" from my previous cars, but i've never had this much trouble shifting smoothly (my previous 2 cars were also 5-speeds, a nissan and a honda).

i've replaced the oxygen sensors, on the theory that they might be "sluggish", and the improvement in gas mileage would give me at least

*some* payback.

i've learnt to be *very* careful if i want a smooth shift, but also to shift out a lot higher (say 3,500-4,000 rpm), which also helps a lot. (so much for saving gas!) i was very surprised how smooth the boxer engine is at higher rpm.

....... tom klein

Reply to
tom klein