HOW TO: Silencing the '05 OBW/LLB Mr. Annoyu seat belt beeper repeats

For those of you '05 OBW owners who routinely buckle up when driving and are fed up with the insulting every-six-seconds beeping "reminder" to buckle up -- like, when you're waiting for wifey to finish shopping and it's 102F in the shade and all you wanna do is listen to the CD changer, run the AC for a bit, and sit there unbuckled because it's hot as the gates of H-E-doublehockeysticks and you're not moving so don't need a seatbelt just yet thankyavermuch, etc.

Well, there's help for you, bunkie.

Because disabling the beeper is a "safety issue" (right. gimme a break, too), your dealer won't do this for you. Subaru won't let 'em, although they _can_ supply you with a hardcopy of the tech bulletin outlining this nifty little hack.

To permanently disable the reminder tones repeat (i.e., after the initial tone) , simply:

  1. Switch on using the ignition key.
  2. Rapidly and repeatedly buckle and unbuckle the driver's seat belt while sitting in the driver's seat. You must do this exactly 20 times within the first 30 seconds after switching on the ignition.

Silence is golden.

Not to fear, you safety advocates out there, like a good little car, the tones will always sound thenceforth the first time you switch on if you're not yet buckled in. They just won't annoy the heck out of you and your passengers afterwards for no good reason.

Note that "permanent" really means only til the next time your battery is disconnected or loses juice, after which you'll hafta repeat the process.

There's also a "temporary" disabling method, which only lasts til the next time you turn off the car. Since for the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would bother, I won't document that here. If you're so inclined, get the tech bulletin from your dealer service tech.

Reply to
Nobody

Does anyone know if this works on the MY2005 OBW in Australia?

Reply to
han_chung

Keep in mind that your insurance will probably require you to have a seat belt on if the car is running, even if you are parked as indicated. Take it from someone who knows from experience. I was lucky, but found out what the rules are. If you get hit while parked, and you are in the car (it happened to me), you either have to be wearing a seatbelt if the car is running, or the car was not turned on when you were hit (no seatbelt required-hint, hint).

Reply to
Alan

Hello nobody there is a better way if you go under your seat there is a white plug and a yellow plug disconnect the white one and the noise is gone forever. dont disconnect the yellow one, thats for the air bag.

repeat this under the passengers seat if you wish. none of this on and off twenty times bullshit

daz

Reply to
libbor