How to turn off driving lights?

Huh? What if they're rear-ended?

What's wrong with that?

Reply to
David Buchner

This topic has generated quite a bit of chatter. I didn't realize that running lights were such a hot topic. Basically your headlights are on. So your headlights burn out earlier which increases the odds that you will be driving at night with one headlight. If the headlights last 5 years or so I wouldn't be alarmed, but I don't think that's the case.

What is lifespan of the headlight in terms of Hours ???

In my 2001 manual it says that the running lights will come on during conditions of reduced light or something like that. So all I want to do is tweak it's sensitivity. They are not on all the time as I noticed on a very sunny day they do turn off.

Reply to
brlarue

Yes, but you missed the point. We become INsensitive to what is commonplace, so the advantage will disappear as more cars have DRLs.

Okay, so now your opinion is noted also.

How do you know I have not piloted an aircraft? Besides, this analogy is not much help, since aircraft are not limited to roads and lanes, filled with multiple vehicles (true to a point, at least.) In the air, you must be alert to others' presence in all directions, thus the light of another aircraft may appear anywhere, relative to you, and you need to pick up its presence immediately in order to avoid it if necessary. On the highways, we get accustomed to passing other vehicles at (potentially fatal) close range all day long. We expect that others will stay in their lanes on the highway, just where they belong, and we tend to take for granted that we ourselves are seen by others and that we have seen whatever other vehicles there are. In this scenario, lights may tend to blend into the fabric of this close-range danger situation. In the air, we have less traffic to contend with, but we have all that sky to take into account all the time. There is also the potential of missing another plane against the bright background. Lights on planes stand out quite nicely, especially since there is little else in the background that lights will be mistaken for. On automobiles, the more lights that are shining, the less any one particular lighted vehicle will be noticed. I could also use your rationale and say that anyone who cannot see another vehicle operating where it should be, on the roadway, "should not be permitted to operate a motor vehicle, day or night."

I try to use a LOT of common sense myself, or at least as much as is available to me. :-)

Did you note what I said about the earliest studies: They concluded at the front end that the unique or novel aspect of the DRLs may be their main advantage. You thus would be better served by having all DRLs eliminated, and then you can run your own lights in the daytime anyway, giving you the greatest possible advantage.

Reply to
D H

What a crock of crap. And I suppose from your suggestion that we should also charge a motorcyclist who is involved in a collision, while not wearing a helmet, since after all, we know that must have caused the crash. In fact the motorcyclist may hear better and see better without a helmet, thus it actually is a liability. I'm a cyclist, and always wear a helmet, but doing so makes noone else safer but me, and it carries potential liability even to me. I admit this is a poor analogy, but my point is you don't charge someone for something unless it is a contributing factor. Your suggestion might result in the TRULY guilty party getting off free simply because YOU want to punish someone for not adhering to your stupid prejudices. Get real.

Oh, so you support DRLs but you don't like someone using their fog lights as DRLs instead? HUH?????

Reply to
D H

why don't you try explaining to everyone where the ***8 BILLION POUNDS*** of extra co2 are going to go because of your stupid desire to waste energy by making everyone drive around with headlights permanently on, in some lame attempt to cater to the shortcomings of the dumb shit driver who shouldn't have a licence anyway? (source:

let's take out stereos, since they distract drivers, thereby causing accidents.

don't get me started on cell phones.

dvd players w/screens in cars? like THAT'S not an accident waiting to happen?!

every car should be equipped with huge brembo brakes, and the stickiest tires available at any price. after all, this will reduce the occurance of accidents, right? (can you offer any explanation as to how it would NOT?)

let's make it a law that you must drive on winter tires in the winter, and summer tires in the summer. that will prevent accidents.

yes, let's equip all vehicles with those back-up beepers, since that could prevent accidents too. in fact, let's just make the beepers sound off all the time, since that would prevent even more accidents.

let's program the cars to not go faster than say 80mph. that would help prevent accidents, and besides, where is the speed limit faster than that in the first place? montana maybe? well, it doesn't matter.. less accidents happen if everyone is driving at 55, so let's just dial it back to that.

we're all about preventing accidents, right? that's the bottom line here, bar none. let's not be half-assed about it. my dad always says: if you're going to do something, do it right.

you know how i remain noticed? i pull the muffler off my car--no shit. straight pipes save lives, you know... and i got the loudest blow-off valve i could buy. turns heads like a mofo. nobody comes near me and my growling, snorting automobile, even when i (gasp) have my headlights OFF during the day!

people never cease to amaze me with their myopia. if YOU want to drive with your lights on during the day, nobody's stopping you--just turn the little switch in the cabin and they magically come on. drive like that all day, every day, contribute to global warming just so you can "be seen more" for all i care.

for god's sake, just stop trying to make cars so that idiots can drive them, because then only idiots will.

ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

Please don't start doing this. And those of you who do, please stop. High beams during the day are around number 4 or 5 on my list of annoying things that drivers do. They still cut right into the retina, even during the day. They're even more annoying than DRL's. People who do this make me want to keep one of those 3 million candle power spot lights in my car.

- Greg Reed

Reply to
Greg Reed

Since all oncoming cars at night have headlights, we become desensitized because they are common and eventually we'll stop noticing them and drift into oncoming traffic?

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

All cars have reflectors on them nowadays, so it's just a matter of time before we become desensitized to them and can no longer drive down a dark street without ramming a row of parked cars, right?

I do think a major failing of DRLs is that there is no rear illumination, and I've always been quicker to turn on my headlights than most when it gets hazy, rainy, snowy, or otherwise visibility impaired in the daytime (including a few smoky runs during forest fire season) at which time I'm glad OTHER drivers who wouldn't otherwise turn on lights have DRLs, but I can't help wondering if we'll produce a generation of drivers who start to rely on DRLs in these situationswithout realizing they have no tail lights.

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan

I have my doubts that blinding oncoming drivers enhances my safety... If you have evidence otherwise, I'd be curious to see it.

I always turn on my lights when visibility is reduced by daytime weather or other factors because I'd like to improve my visibility from the rear, but since I don't control other drivers (YET!) I like the fact the ones too stupid to turn theirs on get a slight edge by having DRLs which keeps them from getting hit which keeps them from then plowing into me or backing up traffic and making me late for work.

YMMV.

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan