Impreza remote starter

I have an impreza 2004 with an remote starter/immobilizer. I took the car to the dealer many times than I can count for different reasons. I had the system replaced 2 times and now, when the engine is cold, if I try to start it with the remote, it would turn off a few seconds after start. Last time the dealer reprogrammed it for me, but now I am concerned of having any dealer touch the car (apart from the required maintenance required by the warranty). They cause more damage than good. I would rather do it myself.

Can someone tell me how the reprogramming is done? I am not sure what kind of system it is, but the remote has a little door with a useless blue button on the side.

Reply to
!!bogus

You are kidding right? You want to cram several years of computer & electronic programming into a paragraph on a newsgroup message board ...

Seriously, take the car to an aftermarket shop & have them rip out the factory crap box and install a real (secure) system. Doesn't cost much for a quality alarm system with built in remote start. Around $350

~~Phil~~

Reply to
~~Phil~~

May be you misunderstood me wrong. What I need to do is adjust the system so it works properly. I am not trying to invent a new system. The problem is when the car is cold, it cannot be started with the remote... it shutsdown immediately.

Reply to
!!bogus

I understood you fine. But you don't seem to get it. Reprogramming the brains of the computer inside of your remote start/alarm switch is not a simple matter of flipping a 'switch'. Is that what you thought??!

You would require specialized electronic equipment, a computer, access to flash programming equipment, and KNOWLEDGE about how to write computer program.

I'll say it again - factory alarm systems are CRAP. Thieves love them. Once they know how one is set up (and they share this info) it makes it much simpler for them to steal your ride because they are all set up the same way.

~~Phil~~

Reply to
~~Phil~~

I guess that explains why the dealer can't get it right from one visit !!

Reply to
!!bogus

Assuming you're in the US, your state's lemon law might come into effect. I wonder if something else besides the remote starter is causing the problem. For example do you push the accelerator down if you're starting it from inside the car?

Dean

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

There is no such thing as an OEM Subaru alarm with a remote start, so this has to be an aftermarket system. Did the dealer install it, or was it done at an alarm shop? Whoever installed it should be able to fix/program it. To get more accurate information here, or perhaps at a a car electronics/security forum, you need to post the exact brand and model of the system.

Reply to
mulder

I agree with what was said above. If you want to play with it a bit, you might need to check and see if it is set up to use the tach wire as a reference for motor start or if it is referencing voltage. If its referencing voltage the problem MIGHT be that when its cold it will turn over for its programmed crank time, in which the car seems to start but then dies when the cranking stops because it is not seeing a large enough increase in voltage. You might have to find out what wire on the remote start is used for tach sensing and attach it to the Green wire at the tach gauge (it also can be found by the ECM).

It would be good to have the owners/install manual when you are doing this as well as there may be some programming required to make it operate with a tach reference (if it can be set to read tach at all)

Reply to
WRXtreme

Did someone tell you that you'd void the warranty if scheduled maintenance wasn't done by a dealer?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I am in Canada.

No. When starting it manually, I just start the ignition even before entering the car.

Reply to
!!bogus

The dealer installed it. The only thing I can say for sure is that the remote is subaru. I don't know where the actual system is. For sure it is not an alarm. Just an immobilizer. Although before (they replaced it last couple of visits), the horn used to go off when I would try to start the car with the key before pressing the unlock button (the remote buttons were defective)... now it doesn't do that any more.

I have to say. I am really unhappy with the car and the dealer. I had so many problems with this car. I sent a complaint to Subaru Canada just in case they care.

It seems my car didn't pass through any kind of QA (forget about the sticker on the window)

Reply to
!!bogus

Isn't that true? If I have the option, I can do the simple maintenance myself. I don't need to go pay $50 to have an oil change.

Reply to
!!bogus