imprezza speedometer

Hey group,

The speedometer on my 93 Imprezza is not working properly. (It reads 80 -

100 mph at about 30mph). However the odometer is clocking correctly. Where should I look? Is it one of the cables? Or maybe something else?

Pete

Reply to
Pete

If the odometer is working correctly then the problem would have to be in the speedo head itself since the odometer is driven from the same cable. The fix is probably a new cluster since the individual gauges are not available separately.

Reply to
mulder

Oh, that's interesting. My speedometer generally overreads by at least

5%. I should make sure that my odometer hasn't been doing likewise.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

Reply to
fopetesl

My 04 STi reads 5% high as well. However, the odometer is fine.

Reply to
JD

Thanks. Sounds like the worst case scenario I guess. I'm selling the car and was hoping it was a quick (cheap) fix. Oh well. Thanks again.

Reply to
Pete

Worst case scenario?

I had the exact same problem- malfunctioning speedometer but odometer worked fine. I put a replacement instrument cluster in my 98 Impreza for $70 shipped from a wrecking yard. It was ridiculously easy to remove and reinstall. I wouldn't call $70 an expensive fix.

Reply to
Mark Olson

Reply to
Pete