Incomplete Forester Alarm System?

I recently bought a 1999 Forester S. I've discovered that there is no emergency override button for the alarm system. The wire is in the right place, but no button. (If I'd know such a thing existed I would have looked beforehand). The system works fine, though I guess there could be trouble if alarm goes off and and the transmitter battery dies. Do I need to replace that switch?

Thanks for your help.

-- Steve

Reply to
Steve F

Usually there is a combination of things which you do with the key in the ignition with current Subaru alarms - there is no button.

Reply to
David & Caroline

The ability to disarm the alarm with just the key (turning it quickly in a short time) didn't come until a year or two later. My system has a switch. It's just that the button is missing. I can trigger it with a paper clip, but would rather have the real thing.

Reply to
Steve F

The 99 subaru imprezas and foresters used an alrm system manufactured by code alarm,(Square remote) a simple mushroom button is needed, this button was used for deactivation, valet and programming.

Correct that Outbacks in 99 and all models forward used the Alpine system which has very poor range and uses just the remote and the key in ignition to do all things.

Reply to
marc