is Mobil 1 5W-30

Hi,

debating with myself if I should go with Mobil 1 5W-30 or Shell Rottela

5W-40. Both do not have a 'Energy Conserving II' label on it while Outback manual requires such.

Manual says that you could use other oil of it complies with API SH. Interestingly, Mobile facts sheet does not say that while Rottela claims it is okay with SH.

Question: is ECII just not significant (everybody use Mobil1 5W-30) or why manual requires it?

Any insight?

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
alf

I've been using Mobil 1 5w30 since my first oil change. Now at 110,000 miles on my Forester S without any oil consumption issues or problems. My last oil change I shifted to Mobil 1 5w30 Truck & SUV since Wal-Mart had it for the same price as Std Mobil 1 @ 21.xx per 5 quart jug. I don't like the idea of going to heaver Vis. oil unless there is a need (trailer pulling) or major oil consumption issues. In addition; for what it is worth I do 5-6,000 mile oci and use PureOne or OEM oil filters. A UOA from Blackstone labs said I could go out to a 7,000 mile OCI. Ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes