Justy oil leak

My 93 Justy has an oil leak that really messes up the driveway and you can smell the oil burning on the exhaust, pretty bad ah. I decided to replace timing belt and fix that leak because I thought it was coming that area. I have taken the belt cover off, cleaned up pretty good. I started it that way and the oil seems to just appear on both sides of the engine on a flat spot right behind the inter belt cover, couldn't tell where it was coming from. I have cleaned it better and a larger area and will look again in the morning. I am pretty sure it isn't down from the cam. Any one had this before and found it. If so it might save me some hunting. L.D.

Reply to
L.D.

It's the valve cover, bad deal on this engine. Take the cover off and (I don't like to admit to doing this, but it works) using a small cold chisel, lightly tap small marks all around the valve cover sealing surface, not across it but along in the direction of the gasket. This gives the new gasket something to grip on and not move, and wear itself out with vibration. Don't beat the shit out of it, just a lot of small little marks, sharp chisel, and then a new gasket, no silicone, and it will last for a long time.

Reply to
David Algie