Legacy Outback and Outback differences

I've been on the Subaru Website and checked out the specs on the Legacy Outback Wagon and Outback Wagon. Am I right to think that themajor differences are such things as side impact door beams.

I've checked a few local used Subaru lots and cannot find a way to visually distinguish the Legacy Outback Wagon from the Outback Wagon.

Is there a secret decoder ring for the VIN that will give away the difference? I've been looking at '03 MY wagons.

Thanks in advance, Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Schudel

Not sure I completely understand your question.

the OBW is a Legacy platforn based vehicle. In the US they are assembled in Indiana so the VIN begins with a 4

The OBS is Impreza based and the VIN begins with a J

here's a good decoder;

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Daniel Schudel wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Carl, your suggestion was helpful, so I printed the code sheet out.

Then I noticed it was for 1999 vehicles only. Do you know if that URL has the other model years available?

Reply to
no mas panzon

It's the only one I saw there, maybe dealers have newer ones?

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

no mas panz> Carl, your suggestion was helpful, so I printed the code sheet out. >

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

The VIN Schematic is what I needed. It helps to distinguish between "Legacy Wagon" and "Legacy Wagon (Outback Models)" (Digit 5). Also, the sequential production numbers show "Legacy Station Wagon" (300001-399999) and "Legacy Station Wagon (Outback)" (600001-699999).

Although they are based on the same platform, they are somewhat structurally different (the Outback Wagon having more safety features than the Legacy Wagon). A new Outback Wagon is priced higher than a Legacy Wagon. Somewhat important when on a used Subaru lot.

There are some descrepancies between the VIN decoder you linked to and recent (2003) VIN numbers. Does anyone know of a newer VIN decoder somewhere?

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Schudel

Dan:

from a Subaru Sales and Leasing Associate,

I assume you are discussing the legacy size wagon in the OB trim package. Over the years, Subaru nomenclature has badged them as Legacy OB and as Outback.

There are different models of the Outback. 4 Cyl Base vs Ltd, 6Cyl, Special editions, vs LL Bean/ VDC All the ones with the leather seats from the factory have Side Air Bags, 4 cyl ltd And the 6 Cyl LLBean and VDC. The

6 Cyl LLBean and VDC models also have the Onstar system as additional safety features over the base models.

In New England, if you are looking for a 2003, the only ones available are previous rental vehicles from Hertz/Avis ... We are selling 2004 models which currently have cashback of $1000 on 4 Cylinders and $500 on 6 Cylinders with financing subvented from Subaru 0.0% 2yrs, 2.9% 3 yrs, and

3.9% 4 and 5 yrs.

If I can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to write. Please reply to both myself (so I do not have to check the thread) and the group.

Marc Soloway Natick Subaru, Natick, MA

508-651-2000 X 126
Reply to
marc

As far as I know, all Outbacks are technically Legacys (i.e., they are built on the Legacy platform). At some point, I think around MY 2000 (maybe with the redesign), they stopped naming it "Legacy Outback" and instead simply called it "Outback." You can see on older Outbacks that they have model badges that say both "Legacy" and "Outback," whereas my 2001 and 2003 Outback wagons only have an "Outback" badge.

In other words, before an Outback was a trim level of the base Legacy, akin to the Legacy GT. Now, it's marketed as a separate vehicle.

Reply to
Brian Wasson