Liberty scrubbing

Hi guys, Need some advise. I have a 1998 liberty (legacy) which has a pair if 17" wheels & a set of 215/45 tires on them. Now as far as I know u could get liberty's with 17" wheels from the factory but at the moment the rear guards scrub on the tires when there is a bit of weight in the back seat (haven't needed to put anything heavy in the boot yet) I was wondering what I could do to counter this? it looks like it's only scrubbing on the lip of the guard, but I could be wrong. I am actually due to replace the 2 front tires in about a week

I have guessed that stiffer suspension may do the trick but would like to know if there are any other options & compare them. thanks in advance. Will

Reply to
lkernos

Were the tires that came with the 17" wheeled Libertys 45 series or something with less diameter like 40 or 35 series? Regardless of wheel size the tire circumference should be the same as it was with the original wheel/tire combo. TG

Reply to
TG

I had a similar problem on my 96 legacy The 17" rims probably have a different off-set (mine did to accommodate the Brembo brakes from a 2002 wrx sti) I had the lip bent up out of the way by a panel shop. It took less than a day and solved the problem & cost NZ$140. I'm really happy with the solution and is all but visually unnoticeable modification. It seems to be quite commonly done to modified Legacys & wrxs. In regards to stiffer suspension, although it helps, its not a good solution to you problem. I have Tein adjustable suspension installed and had it tightened up as hard as it would go and it still rub when loaded and was an uncomfortable ride had some interesting handling characteristics

Mike

Reply to
mike

Reply to
lkernos

Thanks TG, yeah read spome specs on tyres & stuff. Factory tyre combo is 16" rims.

205/50 16r. So I'm 13.9mm too big. I d> Were the tires that came with the 17" wheeled Libertys 45 series or
Reply to
lkernos