Winter Tires and Steel Rims

I looking for some advice regarding steel wheels to mount snow tires. Volvo spare parts lists a 16" x 7" wheel. 3rd Party I am only able to locate 16" x 6.5" wheels. I wouldn't think it would matter, but are there any implications with the slightly narrower rim?

Tires to be mounted are 215/55R16. Original All-Seasons are 225/50R17 on a 17" x 7" Alloy. The Volvo dealer has 215/55R16 Tire and Rim sets but the price is insane.

Reply to
R.E.

You didn't say what model you have. If it's an R model with Brembo brakes, I'd be careful going any narrower as you may have problems with clearance between the inside of the rim and the outside of the brake caliper.

Reply to
Daniel

It's a 2000 S80. I was under the impression that the rim diameter could affect the brakes but, not the width of the rim. I'm thinking that the .5" difference in the rim width should only make a minute change in the profile of the mounted tire.

Reply to
R.E.

Look at the specs from the tire manufacturer. They'll list an acceptable range of rim widths for each one of their tires.

For example, this page on the Toyo Proxes FZ4:

a minimum width of 6", design width of 7" and a maximum width of7.5" for your size.

Reply to
Mike F

The wheel offset is important to maintain lateral caliper to wheel clearance. I think this is the issue that was being pointed out. As you say, a narrower rim should not be an issue with regard to radial clearance. In fact, you should have more clearance inboard around the suspension providing the wheel offset distance is not reduced & this will ease the use of snow chains if you plan to use them. Wheel offset is normally measured between the centreline of the rim to the inside bolt face, but a check of distance between outboard edge of caliper & inside surface of wheel is effectively the same.

Andy P.

Reply to
Andrew Potter

I got my winter wheels by mail order from Tire Rack in Indiana (tirerack.com) Their prices were good, service excellent. They also sell tires.

Reply to
Jjsegr

I bought the same steel wheels that Volvo sells for the S80 for not much $$ at Les Schwab.

Then I put on a set of Michelin Artic Alpin's and the car is awesome in the snow and ice! Sticks like glue.

Reply to
Spanky