locked transmission or center differential

Hello,

Right now I am just looking for possible advice on the potential causes of this problem in my 1998 Subaru Outback. I was recently returning from a trip to the bay area from Reno and had quite the scare. I was driving on the freeway when all of a sudden the fifth gear just let loose. Engine RPM's jumped at which point I slowed down and dropped to fourth, which was still engaging. So then the check engine light comes on, and I pulled off the freeway (was going that way anyways). Opened up the hood to notice that there was transmission oil all over the place. And as I was headed over to the auto parts store to get more oil (I was in West Sacramento on a Sunday morning, no place to really go but there), the transmission locked up on me. All four wheels locked, me sliding, thanking someone or something that I was not doing

80 on the freeway when this happened. Instead I was just in the middle lane on a three lane major thoroughfare, and as all four wheels were locked (in both directions) it wasn't going anywhere.

So, this leads me to my questions. As of now I recent college grad without meaningful employment (read: broke), and was wondering to what extent the damage could be to my transmission, or is it the center differential? It is a manual, 108,000 miles. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Alec

Reply to
Al