I spent 10 years as a dealer service manager for a (non Subaru) Japanese car dealer. The "company line" is the minimum required maintenance to meet warranty requirements. It is heavily influenced by legislation and "competition" The dealer recommended maintenance, in our case, was what we had found was best to make the car last - without unscheduled repairs, over the long run. It didn't vary MUCH from the "b" schedule ("severe service" ) from the manufacturer. Some customers questioned it, and they were told the factory recommended maintenance would get them through warranty. but if they wanted the best VALUE out of their car, follow our recommendation. Most did. Some didn't. Some later said they wished they had. If they followed our recommendations and had service related problems (lubfication related etc) out of warranty, we went to bat for them with the manufacturer, and sometimes when I could not get the manufacturer on-side, we covered repairs on our own. Those who insisted on minimal maintenance were "on their own"

YMMV etc.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I recently bought an 07' Impreza, and the dealer sent me 2 letters to come in for the 3500mi oil change, and Even listed how many miles I Should have on it at the time. I don't drive the car daily, just on trips, and only had half the miles listed. The dealer is in the burbs, and I live in a city, so wondered if they figured I just drove it in the city, but I just drive in it to get onto highways. I contacted Sube to find out why the dealer would bug me and IF they wanted the shorter change interval, to keep the warranty, since the H-6 motor has a shorter interval for Some reason. They said the dealer must have some reason, But if I didn't drive in extreme conditions, than just go by what the factory recommends. The factory does say, 3500mi for driving extremes, but That's Not Me...

VF

Reply to
houndman