Maintenence Questions

I have a 1997 Outback with 141,000 miles on it. I have kept the oil changed, done the timing belt changes, etc.

1> When should I do a transmission fluid change?

2> When should I do a radiator fluid change?

Thanks in advance,

Nathaniel

Reply to
N Simpson

Hi, If you have not done either, it's over due. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

According to the Shell site, orgnic based gear oil has a 150000 milles duration and synthetic gear oil has a 250000 milles duration Gear oil is used for a manual transmission and a differential. Usually, the gear oil will be changed early on a car because there is some wear on the gear before they get fitted together. If the oil was changed already, it can last but you have to check the level of the oil and the aspect. If it is an automatic transmission, you need to do more frequent oil change because it works harder and it needs to be in better shape to perform

As far as the radiator fluid, your might have a problem. When the fluid degrades, it becomes corrosive and will damage the radiator. You will need to perform an engine cleaning or a backwash to remove some of the corrosion inside the engine. After that, inspect the radiator, if it is still good, replace the coolant fluid. If the radiator is bad, might as well change it since the cooling circuit is already empty.

Charles Leblanc Impreza 2000

Reply to
Charlez