Major difference between Outback 2.5i & 2.5XT engines?

I'm curious as to what some of the major and minor differences are when it comes to the Outback 2.5i and 2.5XT engines? On the inside of the gas lid for the 2.5XT's, there is a sticker that says to use PREMIUM gasoline only (octane 91 or higher if I remember right is written on the sticker). Does using the premium gas only give a performance increase, or is using premium gasoline required because using less octane fuel could damage the engine?

I'm curious about this because I would like to get a 2.5XT but if it requires premium fuel then that would be too much for my budget.

Brad

Reply to
Bradley Walker

XT is a turbo... i model is not.

Reply to
Mike Lloyd

Hello,

My 2004 Outback 2.5i (50.000 Km) burns a quater of oil in 4.000 Km since the first Km, and I think that it is habitual in this engine.

For me it is a oil-guzzler, it is the first car in 750.000 Km that burns oil.

I don't konw if the 2.5XT burns oil ....

Joan

"Mike Lloyd" ha escrit en el missatge dels grups de discussió:Pi6nf.398051$084.338580@attbi_s22...

Reply to
Joan Masoliver

XT has DOHC + the turbo, while the 2.5i is SOHC, naturally aspirated.

Reply to
Grolsch

Thanks for the info. I knew that the XT is turbo charged, but didn't know the exact details of what made the engine itself different. I"m assuming it's a bad no-no to inject 87 octane/reg unleaded into the engine correct?

Reply to
Bradley Walker

Yes, the XT requires a premium fuel except in the case of emergencies. Any attempt to use a lower grade fuel will result in poor gas mileage and performance. Long term usage of a low grade fuel may very well cause engine problems.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Thanks, I suspected as much. The idea of having blown valves or something else isn't a pretty thought, especially when it could be prevented.

Reply to
Bradley Walker